Brittany port to port #5 - from Quimper to Vannes
Southern Brittany, an ocean of stories to discover by bike!
Carnac and its megalithic alignments
The typical harbors of Concarneau, La Trinité sur mer and Auray
The Estel ria, one of the most beautiful sites in the region
Quimper, Lorient and Vannes, towns steeped in history
An adventure along the southern Brittany coast between Quimper and Vannes, discovering the coastal landscapes and historical riches of southern Brittany.
From port to port, you tour by bike in the southern part of Brittany. In six stages, you connect the prefecture of Finistère Quimper to that of Morbihan Vannes. Two fascinating cities of Art and History that set the tone for this route with many historical sights. The famous alignments of megaliths of Carnac are certainly the most precious treasure. You will have the chance to discover them during your stay. Placed mid-way, the city of Lorient also constitutes an interesting stop from a historical point of view because of its rich past.
Throughout your escape, you cross small villages made of typical Breton granite houses and many very picturesque harbors. These are lively living areas, where each day a little more history is written on these localities intimately related to the ocean. No doubt you will succumb to the charm of the fishing ports of Concarneau, Trinité sur mer or Auray, among the most beautiful in Britain. Lovers of fresh fish and seafood, delicious feastings are announced between the stages by bike. A tip: prepare your taste buds!
True to its reputation, Brittany offers sumptuous postcards, authentic and typical landscapes that make the charm of the region. From the white sandy beaches to the picturesque port of Saint-Goustan, to the photogenic Etel ria (estuary), and the jagged coastline of the Quiberon peninsula, a beautiful mosaic of landscapes awaits you.
Between the bicycle sections, several sea crossings allow you to cross the rias and rivers that join the ocean. These short cruises are also a moment to savor the surrounding scenery and to better appreciate the strong link that the inhabitants have with the sea.
You also travel around a bucolic and hilly countryside with unsuspected charm. Associated with the beauty of the landscapes, the mild climate of the southern coast of Brittany is also a significant asset. All the ingredients are there to make this new port to port chapter a good time and a great adventure.
Brittany from port to port, a journey in chapters that continues …
Your adventure begins in Quimper. We meet there to prepare your departure. Free evening. Take the opportunity to explore the narrow streets of its historic heart with elegant half-timbered houses. Let yourself be tempted by a Breton cake, accompanied by a bowl of cider, ideal to get in the mood for your trip in Brittany.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From QUIMPER to PONT-AVEN 44km 261m
From Quimper, head south towards the ocean. From Fouesnant, you can see the wide bay where the town of Concarneau is nestled, famous for its fishing port ranked among the top ten in France! There, you can smell the fresh fish.
Finally, to reach Pont Aven, the end point of this first stage, you travel through the gently rolling countryside to your pied-à-terre.
- For a few more km 64km 379m
The rest of the stage is more coastal. You will ride along the coast to the tip of Trévignon before returning to your home base via the winding roads of Aven
From PONT-AVEN to LORIENT 55km 274m
This day offers a varied setting and landscapes. While the morning is hilly, the afternoon offers a fairly flat course. And if the morning is pastoral and bucolic, the afternoon reveals a much more maritime and coastal side. Moreover, along the way, do not miss the charming port of Doelan. By boat, crossing the Laïta offers a short and pleasant cruise. The opportunity also to recharge the batteries before the last leg of the day that takes you to Lorient, a port city rich in history.
- For a few more km 63km 501m
If the boat from Le Pouldu to Guidel, does not run, we invite you to follow this way via the Saint-Maurice bridge.
From LORIENT to CARNAC 54km 225m
CARNAC, QUIBERON LOOP 62km 158m
This loop of about sixty kilometers allows to discover the Quiberon locality and the different aspects of its famous peninsula. If the coast is relatively urbanized, the west coast, battered by the winds has an extremely wild and unmanaged environment.
From CARNAC to VANNES 57km 205m
You ride closer to the Gulf and its beautiful inland sea. You arrive in Auray which has a charming historic center. Head for the most interesting place: the port of Saint-Goustan. You will reach Vannes at the end of the day.
End of the stay at the end of the morning.
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 790€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1160€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a double room
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Brittany
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The trip itineraries available on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
Departure city : QUIMPER
Coming by car
- at 5h30 from PARIS
- at 5h30 from BORDEAUX
- at 8h from LYON
Coming by train
- Quimper train station - 3h30 from Paris
Coming by plane
- Quimper airport
- Brest airport
Arrival city : VANNES
Coming by car
- at 4h45 from PARIS
- at 4h30 from BORDEAUX
- at 7h from LYON
Coming by train
- Vannes train station - 2h30 from Paris
Coming by plane
- Lorient Airport
- Nantes airport
* Abicyclette Voyages accompanies you on demand, including transportation solutions.
How to get back to the starting point
- By train from Vannes to Quimper in 1h10 (hotline)
- Return by car in 1h15 to your starting point ?
- Private shuttle: see detailed fares or contact us
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers (limited to one per person when possible)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger