The Vélomaritime from Saint-Malo to Mont Saint-Michel
4 days by bike on the Vélomaritime route
Saint-Malo and the bay of Mont Saint-Michel by bike
Enjoy a secure and easy route on the Vélomaritime
The Emerald Coast welcomes you for this discovery tour accessible to all. You evolve in an exceptional natural setting with the Mont Saint-Michel as a capstone and its no less famous bay. You take the route of the Vélomaritime, a cycle route that links Brittany to Belgium along the English Channel and the North Sea. This part of the route will give you an overview of the advantages of this itinerary which leads the bike traveler between cliffs, majestic bays and rocky tips.
The stages of our stay offer a taste of escape. They lead you, through the exceptional sites that the Vélomaritime crosses, to the discovery of the local culture and gastronomy.
You start your cycling holiday in the heart of the corsair city, Saint-Malo. Let yourself be surprised by the diversity of viewpoints as you stroll along the ramparts that surround the old town. Depending on the time of day, the light, the tides or the weather, there is something unique about each panorama.
By taking the direction of Saint-Suliac through the lands or that of Cancale along the Emerald Coast, water is never far and your stage unfolds through breathtaking seaside landscapes. Once you reach the port of Cancale, you leave your bikes for a moment to taste the oysters that have made this fishing port famous.
Mont Saint-Michel, an essential stop on the Vélomaritime route, will never be far from view. At times, it appears in the coastal panorama as you move safely on the route of the Bay of Mont Saint-Michel by bike.
The ultimate reward for your trip, the Abbey of Mont Saint-Michel welcomes you for a visit that will remain etched in your memory!
FROM SAINT-MALO, SAINT SULIAC LOOP 36km 265m
Today this first itinerary brings you to discover one of the most beautiful villages in France: Saint-Suliac. Initially in the Malouine countryside, you enjoy the banks of the Rance, a beautiful river that pushes its strength of the tides. The water offers a wonderful spectacle when the setting sun is reflected and return its light on its banks and the stones of the village of Saint-Suliac
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From SAINT-MALO to CANCALE 27km 220m
You leave the Corsair city in the morning to reach the port of Cancale. Enjoy a 26 km bike ride through countryside and seaside. Along the way some Malouinières enrich the landscape. They are beautiful 17th and 18th century houses of ship owners in Saint Malo. In the evening, park your bike on the waterfront and taste some famous oysters.
From CANCALE to MONT SAINT-MICHEL 48km 90m
You head toward one of the architectural wonders of the world, riding on a mix of country roads and more important routes along the sea. After Cancale the route is flat. You can easily ride 50km without during the day. Halfway through you reach the Mont-Dol, a strange rock in the middle of the marsh land, which is an ideal spot for lunch. After the break, you still have a few kilometers to go through the salted marshland. You are at the foot of the Mont Saint-Michel. One last effort, on foot this time, to reach the top and its famous abbey.
FROM LE MONT SAINT-MICHEL, NORMANDY LOOP 35km 70m
Today, take height to appreciate the grandeur of the Bay of Mont Saint-Michel. On the small Norman roads, the path takes you to Roche Torin. You have then descended to the sea level. A peculiar atmosphere emerges from this place, mystical at times, with an advantaged view of the Mont Saint-Michel.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 385€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 505€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 645€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
- Accommodation: 3 nights in a double room
- 3 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Brittany
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Saint-Malo, «corsair city», Ille & Vilaine (35)
Getting to Saint-Malo by car
From Rennes by the N137 (75km 1h)
From Paris by the A13 then A84 (400km 4h)
From Lyon by the A71 (805km 7h40)
From Bordeaux by the A10 and A83 (540km 5h10)
Getting to Saint-Malo by train*
Arrival: TGV train station in Saint-Malo (from Paris : 2H50)
Return: Train station in Pontorson
Saint-Malo by plane*
Airport in Rennes
Airport in Dinard
* Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger