From Bayeux to Honfleur via the Côte de Nacre and the Côte Fleurie
8 days cycling in Normandy along the sea
Bayeux and its famous tapestry
The landing beaches
The Côte de Nacre and the Côte Fleurie
The charming towns of Cabourg, Deauville and Honfleur
The orchards and half-timbered houses of the Pays d'Auge
Normandy by bike from the landing beaches to the Pays d'Auge
This cycle route takes you on a discovery of historic Normandy, impressionist, natural and gourmet, on small roads and greenways equipped for all. A safe cycle-tourist route that leads you between land and sea, through Calvados, its coastline and its orchards.
This cycling route from Bayeux takes you to discover the main landing beaches along the Côte de Nacre. Under the allied flags still waving everywhere, discover a region forever marked by the events of June 6, 1944. Between these places marked by history, the small country roads with bucolic landscapes take you to discover by bicycle many manors, castles and churches preserved or rebuilt after the war.
You cross the Orne by the famous Pegasus bridge to reach and ride along the Côte Fleurie, from Cabourg to Honfleur. These landscapes have inspired impressionist painters. The light and colors reflected and held by the beaches, cliffs and charming seaside resorts, much in demand, such as Villers-sur-mer, Deauville and Trouville-sur-Mer, are unique. The long sandy beaches, ideal for lazing around, also delight lovers of invigorating walks. The numerous villas of the end of the XIXth century which are scattered along the Côte Fleurie are a great testimony of the vogue of sea bathing. It is particularly in Houlgate that you can admire a large number of villas of this period .
You will also cross a natural and gourmet Normandy, through the hilly meadows of the Pays d’Auge, to meet its multiple farms and half-timbered manors. Full of charm, these half-timbered buildings constitute a wonderful heritage to discover. The Pays d’Auge is also famous for its local products. Cider, calvados, cheeses, such as camembert, pont-évêque and livarot, are the joy of food lovers.
Arrive at your convenience during the day. Meet with our local guide in Bayeux who gives you your travel documents and gps. He can answer all your questions and reveal all the secrets of the region to you.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
BAYEUX, BOUCLE DE OMAHA BEACH 57km 306m
Leaving the city of Bayeux, you ride on small bike routes in the peaceful countryside of Normandy. This route has not always been so quiet since it was used by the Canadian army during the D DAY landing. You join the American Cemetery Colleville, impressive for its beauty and unfortunately its quantity of graves. You have the opportunity to visit the overlord museum before joining the beach of Omaha Beach and its famous monument in tribute to the troops landed here. On your way back to Bayeux, you go to Port en Bessin, a charming fishing village still in activity.
- For a few more km 73km 437m
From BAYEUX to COURSEULLES SUR MER 31km 156m
Departing from Bayeux, you ride towards Arromanches, an artificial ally harbor from the Second World War. Take the time to visit Arromanches 360, a film projected on 9 screens that narrates, thanks to archive images from around the world, the entire terrible Battle of Normandy. Then it is along the coast that you reach Courseulles-sur-Mer.
From COURSEULLES SUR MER to HOULGATE, via Pegasus Bridge et Cabourg 45km 50m
You leave Courseulles-sur-mer along the coast to Ouistreham – Riva Bella. You can explore its harbor, embellished with leisure and fishing boats. Then, you leave the Côte de Nacre and continue towards Pegasus bridge (Pont de Ranville) where it is highly recommended to visit the museum on the landing of English gliders. It is then by the small roads that you reach Cabourg, a charming town where the writer Marcel Proust used to stay, with its Belle Epoque villas of with exceptional architecture. You take your first pedal strokes along the Côte Fleurie to Houlgate.
From HOULGATE to TROUVILLE SUR MER, via Beaumont en Auge et Pont-l'évêque 55km 44m
You leave the coast to ride on the small country roads of the Pays d’Auge, dotted with apple trees and rolling meadows. On your way, you cross Beaumont-en-Auge, a small village with picturesque architecture. You continue your bike trip through bucolic landscapes, perfect for reconnecting with nature. Before reaching Trouville-sur-Mer, a stop at Pont-l’Évêque is essential. Charming village with colorful half-timbered houses, its rich and varied heritage promises to amaze you.
From TROUVILLE SUR MER to HONFLEUR 20km 240m
A beautiful green way leads you to the charming port of Honfleur. You can enjoy paintings in the Eugène Boudin museum, Sainte Catherine church the biggest wooden church in France, the Marine Museum for Honfleur history, or immerse yourself in the world of the musician Erik Satie.
- For a few more km 49km 302m
End of your stay after breakfast. Have a safe journey home!
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 710€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 835€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1115€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a double room
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Normandy
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Bayeux, Calvados (14)
Coming by car
From Rennes by the A84 (175km 1H50)
From Paris by the A13 (260km 2H50)
From Lyon by the A6 et l’A13 (730km 6h30)
From Bordeaux by the A10 (640km 6H)
Parking in Bayeux: consult us
Coming by train*
Arrival: TER station in Bayeux
Departure: TGV station in Caen
Coming by plane*
Caen and Paris airports
*Abyciclette may provide transportation as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger