The Vélomaritime route in 10 days
From Roscoff to the Mont Saint-Michel
A wild and diversified coast: Emerald Coast, Pink Granite Coast
Typical ports: Cancale, Erquy, Paimpol, Roscoff
Towns with character: Saint-Malo, Tréguier, Dinard
Hilly yet very accessible and enjoyable countryside roads
An epic cycling tour in Brittany by the Velomaritime route
The Vélomaritime from Roscoff to the Mont Saint-Michel in 10 days
The Vélomaritime, a cycling itinerary opened in June 2013, offers a unique adventure over more than 1200 km on both sides of the English Channel, with a wide variety of coastal landscapes. This secured and signpost path mixes small roads and greenways. The itinerary sometimes offers steep climbs, but they are worth it. The easier days will give you time to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery, culture and way of life of each country.
On the Brittany part, you will enjoy:
– Pink Granite Coast and its excpetional natural sculptures
– Attractive ports which have preserved their authenticity: Paimpol, Erquy, Binic, Saint-Malo, Cancale…
– Towns and villages with charm and character: Tréguier, Dinard, Mont-Dol…
– Cap Fréhel, one of the most beautiful natural sites with its craggy cliffs plunging into the sea
– Emerald Coast with its magical colors from Cap Fréhel to Cancale
– Mont Saint-Michel, classified as world heritage by Unesco
This trip can be done in small portions or in its totality. It can be extended by its Norman and/or English part. You can also check out the easy version of the “Vélomaritime” :
– La Vélomaritime – version facile
Enjoy a few glimpses of this trip
Arrival in Roscoff. You meet with our guide at your hotel for an orientation meeting. If you arrive early enough, take a boat to ile de Batz.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From ROSCOFF to PLOUGASNOU 62km 722m
This route starts in the Breton grove: small roads, lined with high hedges and stone walls. You bypass the bay of Morlaix and cross the city of the same name. Along the coast you reach the Cairn of Barnenez, one of the highest in Europe, which bears witness to a very old human presence! The colors and scents that surround you, make it easy to understand the settlement of men here.
From PLOUGASNOU to PERROS-GUIREC 63km 686m
Close to the sea, you ride along the most beautiful beaches of the pink granite coast. The “Croix de Mi-lieue” cross stands on the On Saint-Michel shore in the middle of the huge beach, Knocked down in 1944, it was found and replanted in May 1993 on the edge of what was long ago the only possible passage to reach Saint-Effla. The “Grand Rocher”, a shy granite overhang towards the sea, marks the border of the Plestin territory. The small port of Locquirec welcomes you for a beautiful evening.
- For a few more km 79km 862m
Follow the coast towards Trébeurden and be sure to stop to contemplate the view from the tip of Bihit to Trébeurden.
From PERROS-GUIREC to PAIMPOL 52km 378m
The route takes you to Tréguier by the small bucolic roads of the Breton countryside. The route of the Vélomaritime offers some greenways that soften a hilly landscape.The small city of character Tréguier charms visitors thanks to its rich historic architecture. You cross the Jaudy and enjoy small country roads and bicycle facilities on the former railway line of the Côtes du Nord. As you approach the broad valley of the Trieux, you enter Lézardrieux, perched on the edge of the estuary. After crossing the surrounding Paimpol countryside, you enter one of the most lively and colorful ports in the English Channel.
- For a few more km 71km 625m
On this longer version, you ride by the coast towards la pointe du chateau between Tréguier and Tréguignec.
From PAIMPOL to SAINT-BRIEUC 62km 777m
On the cliffs of Goëlo, you ride along the sea. Indeed the course takes you by the scenic route to the craggy cliffs of Plouha. A most enjoyable way to admire the beauties that the channel offers you. You join the charming little port of Binic and the coast of Penthièvre, carved, hammered, by the incessant chisels of the tides. You go back to the historic center of Saint-Brieuc for a night of history and discovery.
From SAINT-BRIEUC to ERQUY 37km 419m
You leave Saint-Brieuc by taking the old railway line (the little train of the northern coast). You descend in the cove of Yffiniac where a museum tells the story of the railway in Brittany. The latter has left an exceptional heritage restored for bicycles today (viaduct, tracks dug in the rock …). The cove of Yffiniac represents the bottom of the bay of Saint-Brieuc. A marsh landscape offers a natural reserve to enjoy many species of birds. You follow a steep coast before reaching the small port of Dahouët. The colors of the boats mix with each other to offer nice reflections on the water. You cross the seaside resort of Pleneuf Val-André, the opportunity to enjoy a well-deserved ice cream! There are still some beautiful hilly coastal roads before reaching the port of Erquy and its beach.
From ERQUY to SAINT-CAST-LE-GUILDO 38km 336m
The path marked “Vélomaritime”, leads you by pathways and bike paths to Cape Fréhel. On the cliffs, 70m above the sea, you witness the unreeling of a grandiose landscape. The area leading to the Cap Fréhel lighthouse is protected. It’s made up of heather moors, gorse, broom and ferns, all contributing to a beautiful mix of colors. After the lighthouse you visit the fort of La Latte built on the coast overlooking the sea. The fort is a filming location for several famous films because its exceptional location is as interesting as its state of conservation and renovation. You go around the beautiful bay of Fresnaye where you can meet some oyster farmers at work. The arrival in Saint-Cast allows you to enjoy a beautiful beach for swimming. The family resort is lively all summer!
From SAINT-CAST-LE-GUILDO to SAINT-MALO 39km 338m
On small hilly roads, your journey takes you to the bucolic Breton countryside. After the peninsula of Saint-Jacut-de-la-Mer that deserves a small detour, you quickly reach Trémereuc. There, an old railway line, refurbished as a greenway allows you to easily reach the city of Dinard. On the port your boat is waiting for you to join Saint-Malo.
From SAINT-MALO to MONT SAINT-MICHEL, [VIA LA VÉLOMARITIME] 62km 124m
Your route runs along the Emerald Coast and the Bay of Mont Saint-Michel. Between land and sea your path takes you to meet local producers: Oyster farmers, mussel farmers, breeders… As many specialties as you can enjoy throughout your stay.
After tying your bike to the foot of Mont Saint-Michel, hop on the shuttle that takes you there. Another small walk to reach the surprising abbey, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
It’s the end of your stay after breakfast. You are able to enjoy a morning to visit to the Abbey which sits at the top of the Mount!
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 1240€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1330€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 9 nights in a double room
- 9 breakfasts
- 1 dinner
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Brittany
- Day 8 : Traversée maritime - DINARD - SAINT-MALO
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- Boat transfer from Dinard to Saint-Malo
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Departure city : ROSCOFF
Coming by car
- at 5h30 from PARIS
- at 6h from BORDEAUX
- at 8h from LYON
Coming by train
- Morlaix train station - 3h30 from Paris
- Rennes train station - 1h30 from Paris
Coming by plane
- Rennes Airport
Arrival city : MONT SAINT-MICHEL
Coming by car
- at 3h from PARIS
- at 5h30 from BORDEAUX
- at 7h from LYON
Coming by train
- Pontorson train station - 3h30 from Paris
Coming by plane
- Rennes Airport
* Abicyclette Voyages accompanies you on demand, including transportation solutions.
How to get back to the starting point
- By train from Pontorson to Roscoff in 4h45
- Return by car in 2h30 to your starting point ?
- Private shuttle: see detailed fares or contact us
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger