The Valley of the Kings from Blois to Tours
Passing by Amboise and Chenonceaux
The castles of the Loire by bike: Chambord, Chenonceau, Amboise ...
Flat courses along the Loire
The vineyards of Touraine: Montlouis, Vouvray ...
The beautiful cities of Blois and Tours
The residences of the majesty
Leaving from Blois, come and discover the "Loire Valley", with inexhaustible mysteries and secrets that we have discovered.
The Loire tinted gold by the sky’s reflection, where the sun comes to dive, the light, the breeze, the calm, this restrained impetuosity is there, the sign of a big and beautiful river. It is not by chance that this region was called by our ancestors the “Garden of France“, so let yourself be guided through the parks and castles, in this flat, cool and green country. The valley, deceived by the undulations of the ground which blur the horizon, seems infinite.
From castle to castle, Blois, Amboise, Chambord, Cheverny, Chenonceaux, so many opportunities to enter the most beautiful residences of the majesty!
In the footsteps of François I, Joan of Arc or Leonardo da Vinci, this is much more than a bike trip, it’s a journey back in time. Stages that take you to the heart of the great cities of the valley, allow you to understand part of the history of France. A trip to the land of kings, queens and artists who made our history!
FROM BLOIS, LOIRE LOOP 39km 70m
A smooth loop, along the longest river in France. You ride along its banks and enjoy heritage of the Loire. First architectural, that you enjoy thanks to small villages such as Cour-sur-Loire; then natural which is expressed mainly by the many birds that are indivisible from the majestic river. Back on Blois, lose yourself in its narrow streets. Discover its castle, its churches, its houses, its gardens, organized like an amphitheater on a rock. A bourgeois city with a staircase of streets where at the top near the cathedral you will appreciate the panorama of the surrounding countryside and forests.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
FROM BLOIS, CHAMBORD LOOP 48km 160m
A bike loop to Chambord Castle and its forest park. You will leave Blois to ride on royal paths. They will lead you straight to the four towers of this impressive castle, built as a hunting lodge for Francis I. From the Renaissance to the Empire, let yourself be surprised by the historical richness of the place! Return to Blois.
From BLOIS to CHAUMONT SUR LOIRE 28km 100m
From Blois you will watch the Loire sneak into the heart of the valley, look towards the west, this is the direction you’ll be taking! Today’s objective: Chaumont-sur-Loire and its castle which hosts the International Garden Festival every year. But before that, you will cross the countryside and the Russy forest estate. You will pass near the castle of Beauregard, former hunting lodge of François I. From here, a 15Km royal path led directly to Chambord. Then the castles of Beau Séjour, Chailles or Villelouet will catch your attention before your arrival on Chaumont.
- For a few more km 48km 160m
From CHAUMONT SUR LOIRE to AMBOISE 22km 85m
A day to wonder along the Loire by bike.You arrive in Amboise, city of Leonardo da Vinci.His last home, the Clos Lucé, and the royal castle make this a city of character where it is pleasant to stroll through its alleys or on the quays
FROM AMBOISE, CHENONCEAUX LOOP 37km 135m
You leave the Loire riverbanks and head toward the south. Welcome in Touraine! Luxuriant, abundant and spiritual this is the land of Rabelais and Balzac Courier. In this Eden of fine food, let yourself be tempted by local dishes and spirits … In Chenonceaux, take time to enjoy its famous castle (the same name without an X). Built in 1513, it is one of the most beautiful of the Loire Valley.
- For a few more km 59km 330m
After your visit to the castle of Chenonceau, enjoy a few more kilometers on your route to reach the medieval city of Montrichard. A small beach is laid out in the summer if you want to go for a swim. Return to Amboise by small country roads.
From AMBOISE to TOURS 30km 105m
You leave Amboise by its hillsides. Take the opportunity to taste a few Touraine wines, or simply learn more about the wine making. This day leads you to the old city of Tours, capital of the Loire castles. Take time to discover the fifteenth century wooden houses still present here; they share beautiful bits of history…
- For a few more km 50km 280m
In this version, you can compare the vineyards of Montlouis and Vouvray. After the vineyards of Montlouis, you cross the Loire to reach Vouvray and the Château of Jallanges. Ride along the Loire on the Vouvray side to reach Tours.
FROM TOURS, VILLANDRY LOOP 40km 13m
You leave the city of Tours quickly and easily by cycling the Loire à vélo route. On this portion of the route you follow the Cher river along a dedicated cycle path. Only a few fishermen, cyclists and birds will be found on your way. Halfway, take the opportunity to enjoy Savonnières for a coffee break and perhaps a swim on the beach … You will then discover the exhilaration of colors and the beauty of the gardens of the Château de Villandry. A dip in the heart of the 16th century that will not leave you indifferent! Peacefully, you return to Tours.
- For a few more km 65km 165m
For the more fit, after visiting the Château de Villandry, you branch off towards the town and the Azay le Rideau castle and town while crossing the Tours countryside. Your return to Tours is by a beautiful bike route along the mill road on the edge of the Cher.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 580€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 720€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1090€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a double room
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Loire Valley
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The trip itineraries available on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Blois, Loir-et-Cher (41)
Blois by car *
From Paris on the A10 (185km 2H10)
From Lyon on the A6 (510km 5H)
Blois by train *
TER train station in Blois (from Paris: 1H45)
Return: TGV train station in Tours – Saint-Pierre-des-Corps (to Paris: 1H10)
For schedules and reservations, you can visit: www.oui.sncf
*Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger