From Rennes to the Mont Saint-Michel
Through the Rance valley and the Emerald Coast
Rennes, a historical, dynamic and trendy city
The Ille & Rance canal
Dinan, a medieval town
Saint-Malo, the corsaire port
Cancale and its oyster market
The Mont-Saint-Michel, "Marvel of the West"
RENNES TO THE MONT-SAINT-MICHEL
From Rennes, its capital, ride through romantic Brittany along the Mont St Michel Bay
This journey takes you through some of the most beautiful cities in Brittany and to an exceptional site labeled part of the World’s heritage by UNESCO. this historical and architectural pilgrimage offers variety and many surpises along the way.
- The Ille & Rance canal guides you onto a calm, flat, and pleasant route to Dinan, an authentic medieval city in which you will enjoy exploring the old town.
- The greenway from Taden to Dinard takes you to the seafront by an old railway track. With its 19th century villas, the seaside resort has kept its charm.
- Taking the bus boat form Dinard to Saint Malo
- The Tour de Manche and its dedicated cycling routes greenways offer a beautiful crossing of the Mont-Saint-Michel bay, between land and sea.
Cancale is a gourmet halt before the Mont-Saint-Michel. The oyster farmers prepare and serve them directly on the port. An experience you wouldn’t want to miss!
Arrival in Rennes on your own. Welcome to the Breton capital ! Rennes offers many surprises and you will soon be conquered by this city that combines wonderfully historic and modern architecture. Passionate about contemporary art and gastronomy, proud of its history and its identity, discover a welcoming and warm city.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From RENNES to HEDE-BAZOUGES 46km 123m
You descend on the first lock of the Canal d’Ille-et-Rance as your journey on the towpath begins. Under the trees and on a pleasantly surfaced lane, you enjoy a flat route in the middle of a hilly landscape. After passing some villages, you arrive on the basin of Bazouge. It’s made up of a water reserve that feeds the canal. The site of the eleven locks resembles a water staircase. It allows for 27 meters of difference in level. It’s a especially superb site thanks to the close succession of the flower covered locks in a beautiful alignment. If a boat comes through, you can see the lock keepers at work!
From HEDE-BAZOUGES to DINAN 41km 220m
From the top of the village of Hédé, you will descend on the “11 locks”. You will continue your journey on the towpath. In Tinténiac, in an old lock house, a museum will tell you the story of ancient crafts.
Your path will continue in the middle of the wooded nature. At Pleugueneuc, you can reach the castle of Bourbansais. The zoo will delight young and old in this historic space.
You will then reach Evran where the Ille and Rance rivers come together to join the sea.
Before the last effort to arrive in Dinan, located on an imposing rocky outcrop, you will cross Léhon, one of the most beautiful small towns of character in Brittany. All the houses are beautiful. You will experience an old atmosphere that is at the same time lively and warm. You will enter Dinan by the port. Enjoy the site before climbing up the historic center of one of the most beautiful medieval towns of Brittany. It holds incredible architectural treasures.
From DINAN to SAINT-MALO 32km 170m
You descend in the Dinan harbor and continue your tour on the towpath. Nevertheless, this path does not take you to Saint-Malo. After a few kilometers you have to leave the canal to join a beautiful green path built on an old railway line. This path along the Breton countryside leads you to Dinard. At your arrival on this seaside resort of the 19th century, a stop is needed to discover the beautiful villas and enjoy an ice cream in front of the beach!
Then embark on a small cruise to cross the river mouth of the Rance (which comes from the Canal that you have previously traveled from Rennes). You reach Saint-Malo by boat as did Surcouf and Cartier, navigators and famous corsairs of the city.
From SAINT-MALO to CANCALE 27km 220m
You leave the Corsair city in the morning to reach the port of Cancale. Enjoy a 26 km bike ride through countryside and seaside. Along the way some Malouinières enrich the landscape. They are beautiful 17th and 18th century houses of ship owners in Saint Malo. In the evening, park your bike on the waterfront and taste some famous oysters.
From CANCALE to MONT SAINT-MICHEL 48km 90m
You head toward one of the architectural wonders of the world, riding on a mix of country roads and more important routes along the sea. After Cancale the route is flat. You can easily ride 50km without during the day. Halfway through you reach the Mont-Dol, a strange rock in the middle of the marsh land, which is an ideal spot for lunch. After the break, you still have a few kilometers to go through the salted marshland. You are at the foot of the Mont Saint-Michel. One last effort, on foot this time, to reach the top and its famous abbey.
FROM LE MONT SAINT-MICHEL, NORMANDY LOOP 35km 70m
Today, take height to appreciate the grandeur of the Bay of Mont Saint-Michel. On the small Norman roads, the path takes you to Roche Torin. You have then descended to the sea level. A peculiar atmosphere emerges from this place, mystical at times, with an advantaged view of the Mont Saint-Michel.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 660€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 730€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a double room
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Rennes
- Day 4 : Traversée maritime - DINARD - SAINT-MALO
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The trip itineraries available on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Rennes, Brittany’s capital, Ille & Vilaine (35)
Getting to Rennes by car*
From Paris by the A11 & A81 highways (360km 3h30)
Getting to Rennes by train*
Arrival: TGV train station in Rennes (from Paris: 2h00)
Return : Train station in Pontorson
Rennes par avion²
Airport in Rennes : http://www.rennes.aeroport.fr/
* Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger