Sarlat and the Black Perigord
6 days by bike to discover the Black Perigord and its History, through the Vezere and Dordogne valleys
The most beautiful villages of France: Belvès, La Roque-Gageac, Limeuil...
The castles of Beynac, Castelnau, Marqueyssac ...
Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, world capital of prehistory
Sarlat-la-Canéda, the capital of the Périgord Noir
The Gardens of the Imagination in Terrasson
The Limeuil panoramic garden
A bicycle ride in the Périgord Noir
From Sarlat, you set off to explore the Dordogne valley and Vézère, an emblematic area of Prehistory known for its numerous deposits, caves and sites listed as World Heritage by UNESCO.
This trip takes you, between forests, historic sites, caves and castles, to discover the places that have made this region one of the cradles of Europe. In the medieval town of Sarlat-la-Caneda, you will be able to discover 66 listed monuments but also taste local products such as foie gras, regional wine or even walnuts.
You have the opportunity to reach the most beautiful castles of the region by bike: Beynac, Castelnau, Marqueyssac, Fayrac, Les Milandes … You head back in time and enjoy prehistoric sites classified as World Heritage by UNESCO as the caves of Lascaux, Font de Gaume and Combarelles.
During this bicycle-touring trip, you will discover many villages classified among the most beautiful in France. Among them, that of Belvès, where there is a warm and welcoming atmosphere, but also that of La Roque-Gageac which offers a journey back in time. When you arrive in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, you will notice that this village has many attractions: a characteristic troglodyte architecture, a remarkable art of living, an exceptional natural space, a real conviviality … Les Eyzies-de-Tayac are often presented as being the “World Capital of Prehistory” and that is saying something since this is where the Man of Cro-Magnon was discovered.
After the effort, make room for the pleasures of the table! Take advantage of gourmet gastronomy to taste local specialties: local wines, foie gras on toast or pan-fried, duck breast or duck confit … Be careful, there is little chance here of sticking to a diet! But isn’t that also one of the pleasures of the holidays?
SARLAT LA CANEDA
Arrive on your own to Sarlat, capital of Périgord Noir. The city’s heritage is internationally recognized, you should take the time to visit this beautiful medieval city.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From SARLAT LA CANEDA to BELVES 40km 640m
This is the day of the castles. Leave early because you will be put through the wringer! After leaving Sarlat, you will find the Dordogne valley in La Roque-Gageac, one of the most beautiful villages in France. Once explored, you will enter the valley of the castles, Beynac, Castelnau, Marqueyssac, Fayrac, Milandes … the choice is yours! You will end your day in a hilltop town, Belvès, another of the most beautiful villages of France.
- For a few more km 51km 1150m
This detour allows you to discover the hilltop village of Domme as well as the village of La Roque-Gageac which are among the most beautiful villages of France.
From Belvès to Les Eyzies de Tayac 43km 490m
After spending your first day playing knights in the castles of Périgord, you return to the time of the Men of Cro-Magnon or Neanderthal. You leave one of the most beautiful villages of France towards the Bessède forest where you ride calmly in the shade of the trees accompanied by the song of birds. You will soon arrive at Cadouin Abbey, the cloister of which, listed as a Historic Monument and listed as World Heritage by UNESCO, is a masterpiece of flamboyant Gothic art. It is by small peaceful roads that you reach the medieval city of Limeuil. This village with stone houses and brown tiled roofs typical of the Black Perigord is a pleasant and authentic stopover. Do not miss the visit of its panoramic garden which offers you a unique view on the valleys of the Vézère and the Dordogne. Your path continues along the Vézère before reaching Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, “World Capital of Prehistory”.
- For a few more km 67km 750m
This alternative route allows you to visit the Bastides of Molières and Lalinde after Cadouin. True symbols of the Southwest of the 14th century, there are no less than 25 bastides in the Périgord. This route also allows you to reach the Cingle de Trémolat where a natural belvedere reveals a unique panorama over the Dordogne and its valley.
From Les Eyzies de Tayac to Terrasson-Lavilledieu 42km 470m
Today you ride peacefully along the Vézère. During your journey, you will discover remarkable places such as that of La Roque St Christophe, a troglodyte site unique in the world, or even the charming village of Saint-Léon-de-Vézere, ranked among the most beautiful villages of France. You will be charmed by its narrow streets, with hot stones and cove roofs which make up all the authenticity of the medieval villages of Périgord Noir. Then you continue your road towards a high place of the Dordogne and prehistoric art: the fabulous and famous Cave of Lascaux in Montignac. Since its opening in December 2016, more than a million travelers from around the world have visited Lascaux IV!
- For a few more km 72km 700m
You leave towards the Rouffignac Cave and the village of Rouffignac St Cernin de Reilhac then you find the route to La Roque St Christophe.
From TERRASSON-LAVILLEDIEU to SARLAT LA CANEDA 50km 580m
During this bike stage, you ride on the small country roads of Dordogne and cross the Coly Valley to reach the village of Saint-Amand-de-Coly, classified among the most beautiful villages of France. Its 12th century abbey church, considered to be the most beautiful fortified church in the Périgord, watches over the houses of the village built from the local stone and typical slate stones of the region in a harmonious contrast of ocher and gray tones. A little further, another magnificent stop awaits you in the Jardins d’Eyrignac, the green jewel of the Périgord Noir. This must-see in the Dordogne lends itself wonderfully to the awakening of all your senses. It is then your return to the capital of the Black Perigord, city of art and history, Sarlat la Canéda.
- For a few more km 70km 750m
Following the visit of the Jardin d’Eyrignac you continue your route through the Périgord countryside which leads you to the castle of Carlux. Then a peaceful greenway accompanies you to Sarlat la Canéda.
SARLAT LA CANEDA
End of the stay after your breakfast. Have a safe trip back !
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 700€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1050€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Quote on request | Contact us
Bed & Breakfast Range
Another way to travel, meeting the people of the lands you cycle through. They welcome you in their home and offer board and lodging*. It gives you the opportunity to chat and deepen your knowledge of the region. We have selected them for their charm and privacy.
*breakfast included, diners available according to establishments
Starting from 560€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
- Accommodation: 5 nights in a double room
- 5 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
Supplied equipment per bike
Sarlat la Canéda, Dordogne (24)
Coming by car*
From Lyon by the A89 (430km 4H15)
From Paris by the A10 then the A20 (550km 5H30)
Coming by train*
SNCF station in Sarlat (TER)
Coming by plane*
Brive Vallée Airport
* Abicyclette Voyages provides, upon request, a reservation service for your plane or train tickets to help you organize your trip.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger