Perigord bike ride from Bergerac to Sarlat
4 days in the valleys of the Dordogne and Vézère
Bergerac and its vineyards: Monbazillac, Pécharmant ...
The valleys of the Dordogne and Vézère
Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, world capital of prehistory
Sarlat-la-Canéda: one of the most beautiful cities in France
4 days cycling trip in Dordogne starting from Bergerac
The time of a weekend in Périgord, this stay makes you discover by bicycle the magnificent valleys of the rivers Dordogne and Vézère.
Between dark forests, steep valleys, hilltop castles and typical villages, this bike trip takes you to discover the places that have made the Dordogne one of the cradles of Europe. During this ride between Bergerac, the capital of the Purple Périgord, and Sarlat, the capital of the Périgord noir, you will cycle through the most emblematic sites of the region.
During this itinerant trip, you will discover many villages classified among the most beautiful of France. Among them, the pretty medieval village of Limeul at the confluence of the Dordogne and Vézère, but also Domme which sits on a vertiginous rocky promontory enjoys a splendid panorama of the Dordogne valley and the neighboring villages of Beynac and la Roque Gageac. When you arrive in Eyzies-de-Tayac, you will notice that this picturesque village harbors many attractions: a charateristic troglodytic architecture, a remarkable art of living, an exceptional natural space … Les Eyzies-de-Tayac is also the “World Capital of Prehistory” and that is saying something since this is where the Cro-Magnon Man was discovered. True architectural jewel of the Dordogne, Sarlat has 66 listed monuments. At the end of your stay, allow yourself some time to stroll through this well-preserved medieval city with a harmonious atmosphere.
After the biking effort, the pleasures continue at the table! Make the most of a tasty gourmet gastronomy to taste the local specialties: local wines (Bergerac, Domme), foie gras toast or pan-fried, duck breast or confit of duck … Be careful, there is little chance here of sticking to a diet! But isn’t that also one of the pleasures of the holidays?
FROM BERGERAC, MONTBAZILLAC LOOP 27km 195m
Discover the vineyards of Bergerac and Monbazillac. After the climbing the hills you arrive at the castle of Monbazillac, high place for the tasting of this world-renowned sweet white wine. From here, you overlook Bergerac and its valley. After dabbling on the small vineyard roads, you dive into Bergerac and its old town for an excellent evening.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet our local guide, Jean-Paul, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From BERGERAC to LE BUGUE 53km 730m
Day of the rivers. Leave Bergerac in the morning to stroll along small roads lost in the middle of forests and meadows. You undulate in these fresh landscapes, crossing authentic Perigord villages huddled around their often fortified steeples. After a few spins of the wheels, you arrive on the “cingles”, This is the name we give to the meanders of the Dordogne. Your day becomes more sporty but you are rewarded by magnificent views and you can swim at the confluence of Vézère and Dordogne in Limeuil, one of the most beautiful villages in France.
From LE BUGUE to SARLAT LA CANEDA 38km 740m
A day through mountains and valleys. After a few kilometers, you arrive at Eyzies-de-Tayac, the world capital of prehistory, city of Cro-Magnon, you can surely see him near his cave! After greeting him, you pedal in cool valleys along the wild rivers of the region where trout like to rest. A visit to the castle of Commarque leaves you with an impression of the Middle Ages and pretty villages with flagstone roofs, you rejoin Sarlat, a medieval jewel.
- For a few more km 55km 1190m
FROM SARLAT LA CANEDA, DOMME LOOP 40km 1030m
A loop to discover the Monfort cingle (meander) and its castle, and the fortified town of Domme, medieval town perched at 300 m altitude above the river. Make some time to stroll through Sarlat and lose yourself in its charming streets and squares.
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 470€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Quote on request | Contact us
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 3 nights in a double room
- 3 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Welcome
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The trip itineraries available on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
Bergerac, Dordogne (24)
Coming to Bergerac by car
From Rennes by the A83 et A10 (540 km 5h10)
From Paris by the A20 (590 km 5h45)
From Lyon by the A89 (470 km 4h30)
From Bordeaux by the A89 (120km 1h30)
Parking in Bergerac : Contact us.
Coming to Bergerac by train*
Train station of Bergerac (TER)
Train station of Bordeaux (TGV)
Return : Train station of Sarlat
Coming to Bergerac by plane*
Airport of Bordeaux
* Transportation to your starting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger