The Dordogne Valley
Between history and prehistory
The Lascaux Cave in Montignac
Sarlat, a real gem architectural gem
The Bastide de Belvès, one of the most beautiful villages in France
Les Eyzies de Tayac, world capital of prehistory
The castles of the Dordogne valley: Milandes, Castelnau, Beynac ...
A bike trip through the Périgord Noir
A trip through the Périgord Noir from prehistory to the history of the Dordogne valley.
Under the midday sun and the small country roads, enjoy an active and cultural stay!
Between vineyards, forests, historic cities, caves and castles, this trip takes you to discover the places that have made this region one of the cradles of Europe. You will undulate in these fresh landscapes, crossing authentic Perigord villages huddled around their often fortified steeples. You will have the chance to reach:
- Les Eyzies de Tayac, world capital of prehistory, which will give you the opportunity to visit a museum and several cave grottoes
- The Lascaux Cave*, one of the most spectacular caves in the preservation and quality of cave art. * A reconstruction, because the real cave is now protected for conservation reasons.
- Sarlat, charming capital of Périgord Noir, warm and dynamic.
- The fortified towns of Domme and Belvès in particular. These medieval villages of geometric form allowed a better defense of the populations during the Hundred Years’ War.
- Strongholds and castles protecting the valley: Castelnau and Beynac
After the effort, the pleasures continue at the table thanks to the local specialties: Pécharmant or Monbazillac wines, foie gras in toast or pan-fried, duck breast or duck confit… Careful, there’s little luck here to stay on a diet! But isn’t that what the holidays are for?
If you arrive in the morning or early afternoon, a first loop invites you into the vineyards of Pécharmant. Small appellation of red wines. This structured wine has a dark garnet color. It calls for some wine tastings at the vineyards! In the evening, you will enjoy the charming town of Bergerac and its lively narrow streets.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet our local guide, Jean-Paul, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From BERGERAC to LES EYZIES DE TAYAC 66km 1050m
Day of the rivers. Leave Bergerac in the morning to stroll along small roads lost in the middle of forests and meadows. You undulate in these fresh landscapes, crossing authentic Perigord villages huddled around their often fortified steeples. After a few spins of the wheels, you arrive on the “cingles”, This is the name we give to the meanders of the Dordogne. Your day becomes more sporty but you are rewarded by magnificent views and you can swim at the confluence of Vézère and Dordogne in Limeuil, one of the most beautiful villages in France.
FROM LES EYZIES DE TAYAC, LASCAUX LOOP 53km 770m
By bike, you continue the ascent of the Vézère. You take a little height to ride in the forest. A few hundred meters from the village of Montignac, you arrive at the Lascaux Caves. A nice visit is waiting for you. The copy of the most famous rock cave is a masterpiece of cave art. The visit is not very long but will literally transport you! The return to the light is always a little harsh. Fortunately a nice descent to the village brings you to the following sites of interest! After a good meal in Montignac, this time you go down the Vézère allowing you to reach the surprising site of Roque Saint-Christophe. This prehistoric troglodyte habitat is a new proof of the large population present here tens of thousands of years ago. You also enjoy the beauty of the site and the resources they offer!
From LES EYZIES DE TAYAC to SARLAT LA CANEDA 40km 910m
You will ride in cool valleys along the wild rivers of the region where trout like to rest. You will pass in front of the castle of Commarque, whose remains can be visited. And by pretty villages with flagstone roofs, you will reach the city of Sarlat, a true medieval jewel.
FROM SARLAT LA CANEDA, BEYNAC LOOP 40km 1035m
A loop to discover the Cingle de Montfort and its castle, and the town of Domme, medieval town perched at 300m of altitude above the river. Leave time to stroll through Sarlat and lose yourself in its charming streets and squares.
From SARLAT LA CANEDA to BELVES 40km 640m
This is the day of the castles. Leave early because you will be put through the wringer! After leaving Sarlat, you will find the Dordogne valley in La Roque-Gageac, one of the most beautiful villages in France. Once explored, you will enter the valley of the castles, Beynac, Castelnau, Marqueyssac, Fayrac, Milandes … the choice is yours! You will end your day in a hilltop town, Belvès, another of the most beautiful villages of France.
- For a few more km 51km 1150m
This detour allows you to discover the hilltop village of Domme as well as the village of La Roque-Gageac which are among the most beautiful villages of France.
From BELVES to BERGERAC 59km 700m
You cross large wild expanses punctuated by pretty little villages with a church here, a covered market there, further down a beautiful home to arrive at Beaumont du Périgord, an English fortified town of the 13th century, dominated by its immense fortified church. You resume your journey by the beautiful valley of Couze, a river with many mills and pure water. You cannot return to Bergerac without before having admired the castle of Bannes, marvel of medieval architecture, perched on its rocky outcrop and the castle of Lanquais, the unfinished Louvre of Périgord. On your arrival, find the life of the streets of the beautiful city of Bergerac.
FROM BERGERAC, MONTBAZILLAC LOOP 27km 195m
Discover the vineyards of Bergerac and Monbazillac. After the climbing the hills you arrive at the castle of Monbazillac, high place for the tasting of this world-renowned sweet white wine. From here, you overlook Bergerac and its valley. After dabbling on the small vineyard roads, you dive into Bergerac and its old town for an excellent evening.
It’s the end of your stay after breakfast. Have a good journey home!
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1035€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1330€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 8 nights in a double room
- 8 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Welcome
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- French topo map (IGN 1/100 000e)
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Bergerac, Périgord Pourpre, Dordogne (24)
Bergerac by car
From Rennes on the A83 and A10 (540 km 5h10)
From Paris on the A20 (590 km 5h45)
From Lyon on the A89 (470 km 4h30)
From Bordeaux on the A89 (120km 1h30)
Bergerac by train*
TER station in Bergerac
Bergerac by plane*
Airport in Bordeaux
*Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option. A booking service for your plane tickets, train or boat to help you organize your trip.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger