Dordogne by bike : Black Périgord and Lot Valley
The most beautiful sites and landscapes in Southwest of France
Sarlat, a true architectural gem
Rocamadour, sacred city on rocky outcrop
Figeac and its exceptional heritage
Cahors and its vineyard
The beautiful valleys and landscapes of the Dordogne and Lot
Local gastronomy, cradle of French cuisine
Dordogne and Lot valley by bike
Immerse yourself in the discovery of the Périgord and these riches in this 8-day itinerary
This stay between the Dordogne and the Lot valley invites you to discover varied and authentic landscapes in one of the most beautiful regions of France. During your bike journey, you will take small winding roads in the deep forests shade and enjoy the beautiful panoramas, old stone houses sun-drenched by the sun, medieval castles and the many caves of the region.
The Périgord Noir is spread around the Dordogne and takes its name from its immense forests of dark colors. It is one of the cradles of humankind, the capital of prehistoric times. Many rock art caves offer visits of ancient works that cannot be bought! Along the river, the Hundred Years War also shaped the landscape: fortified castles, country houses (fortified cities / towns with geometric layouts). An imposing architecture which gives off a feeling of power.
The Lot draws its character from its causses (limestone plateaus) cut by its rivers, the Lot of course but also the Dordogne and the Célé. It is interspersed with great sites and beautiful villages like Rocamadour, Cahors, Figeac or Saint-Cirq-Lapopie … Man and nature have left their footprints on the territory. By bike, the naturalness and authenticity of the Dordogne and Lot are revealed before your eyes. Land of gastronomy, take the time to taste the local specialties. This territory also awakens your taste buds with truffles, foie gras, lamb, Quercy melon or even the wines of Cahors, vineyard recognized as one of the oldest in Europe.
SARLAT LA CANEDA
Arrive on your own to Sarlat, capital of Périgord Noir. The city’s heritage is internationally recognized, you should take the time to visit this beautiful medieval city.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From SARLAT LA CANEDA to ROCAMADOUR 58km 820m
From Sarlat, a greenway leads you to the gates of Souillac. This charming little town owes its notoriety to its magnificent abbey: the Sainte-Marie abbey. From here, you can admire the famous sculpture of the prophet Isaiah, the seven viaducts built on both sides of the city, the Museum of the Automaton and its alleys full of history. Remember to save some time at the end of the day to discover the medieval city of Rocamadour. Don’t forget to make a stop at a small farm to taste the local goat cheeses.
From ROCAMADOUR to FIGEAC 53km 545m
A transition stage between the banks of Alzou and Lot is on the day’s agenda. You also cross the Causse de Gramat, the most important Causse (limestone plateau) in Quercy. The greatest wealth of this fascinating territory lies in its many stone treasures. Barns, barracks, low walls, wells, laundries, crosses, dolmens and menhirs, the landscape is interspersed by this priceless and emblematic heritage.
- For a few more km 67km 1169m
Discover Loubressac and Autoire, two villages classified among the most beautiful villages in France and the splendid Gouffre de Padirac.
From FIGEAC to SAINT CIRQ LAPOPIE 53km 742m
A day along the water, on the banks of the Lot, which will lead you to Saint-Cirq Lapopie. Set on a cliff 100 meters above the Lot, Saint-Cirq Lapopie is one of the major sites in the Lot valley. This medieval village, with no less than 13 historical monuments, is one of the most beautiful villages in France.
From SAINT CIRQ LAPOPIE to CAHORS 43km 712m
From the medieval town of Saint-Cirq Lapopie, you enter the Célé Valley. On your way, take the time to discover the famous prehistoric cave of Pech Merle and its museum. You arrive in Cahors, capital of the Lot, which combines southern atmosphere, historical richness and gourmet pleasures!
- For a few more km 57km 969m
From CAHORS to GOURDON 55km 819m
After a few kilometers along the Lot, you head north, indicating your return to Perigord. Through small villages and small roads in the shade, you reach Gourdon. This small town has kept a strong medieval identity: fortified gate, half-timbered houses, narrow streets winding up to the esplanade of the old castle … There, at the top of the mound, indulge the hilly landscapes specific to Périgord. Here, everything calls for a medieval stroll especially on the occasion of the medieval festivals which resound, at the beginning of August, with the sounds of swords and troubadours songs .
From GOURDON to SARLAT LA CANEDA 27km 216m
This stage allows you to reach Sarlat smoothly. Your passage over the Dordogne will certainly give you the craving for a swim or a nap under the fresh air of the river. This can be an opportunity to visit the city of Sarlat if you haven’t had the time on your arrival.
- For a few more km 40km 533m
A longer route is available for the more adventurous. It will take you to the village of Domme, which offers a splendid panorama over the Dordogne.
- For a few more km 52km 827m
SARLAT LA CANEDA
End of the stay after your breakfast. Have a safe trip back !
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 920€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1080€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 7 nights in a double room
- 7 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
Sarlat La Canéda, Nouvelle Aquitaine, Dordogne
Sarlat by car*
From Lyon by A89 (430km 4H15)
From Paris by A10 then A20 (550km 5H30)
Sarlat by train*
Sarlat Train station : www.voyages-scnf.com
* Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option with Abicyclette Voyages
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger