Cycling from Sintra to Lisbon
Fantastic Portugal Coastal Rides
Ericeira surfing village
White sand beaches and local sea food
Sintra - UNESCO World Heritage site
Lisbon– Capital of Portugal
Beach, fishing and Portuguese traditions
Ride along the Atlantic coast between Lisbon and Sintra.
The greatest place where land meets the authentic Atlantic beauty. Start in the typical fishing villages and surf spot Ericeira and feel the coastal lifestyle. Relax in gorgeous white sand beaches and delight yourself with fresh fish dishes straight from the ocean.
Afterwards comes Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and a land full of castles and palaces from different centuries.
The hills are characterised by the massive granite boulders and exuberant vegetation breezed by the fresh and humid winds of the Atlantic. Stepping on Roca Cape, the westernmost point of Continental Europe, you will touch the last piece of land before the sea begins!
Transfer from Lisbon airport to your hotel in Ericeira followed by a briefing and bike fitting.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From ERICEIRA to PRAIA GRANDE 30km 450m
Take some time to walk through Ericeira’s town center and breath the fresh air of the ocean. Today’s cycling journey takes you south. Along the coast experience some inland roads where you can see typical portuguese houses and land, this is a day to enjoy the coast and what it has to offer.
Don’t forget to try the amazing seafood, it is delicious!
From PRAIA GRANDE to SINTRA 36km 860m
You leave Praia Grande and head east. En route discover the Monserrate Palace, a unique and exquisite example of Romanticism. Arriving at the village of Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site, you have the rest of the day to explore. Worthwhile to visit the mysterious Quinta da Regaleira, with tunnels, towers, and walkways; a treat to the sight.
INLAND HIKE IN SINTRA 7km 450m
This day is reserved to explore the hills above the village of Sintra, enjoying its vast architectural patrimony set on the mountain. Such is the grandeur and importance of it’s buildings and
monuments that the Cultural Landscape of Sintra was
designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1995. Start with the
Castle of the Moors and then the fabulous Pena Palace with it’s
exuberant and exotic gardens. Today feel like a king or queen
and finish with a exquisite dinner at the village center.
From SINTRA to CASCAIS 44km 650m
On the last day of biking get involved by the mystic environment
close to Franciscan Capuchin Convent. Continue riding towards the Atlantic Ocean and arrive at the westernmost point of continental Europe – Cape Roca, a promontory rising 150m above the sea level. Discover impressive beaches nestling between cliffs, artistically sculpted by the power of nature and finish with a easy scenic ride along the
coast arrive at Cascais, a lovely seaside town.
Explore our beloved Capital !
After a transfer from Cascais to Lisbon explore the capital!
Prepare yourself to get lost while exploring the old
neighborhoods of Lisbon like Alfama, Graça, and Chiado,
discover the many viewpoints offering a magnificent view of
Lisbon. Stroll through the Pombaline grid of streets in the Baixa
district that opens on to the Tagus in Praça do Comércio, then
follow the river to discover some of the city’s most beautiful parts,
like the monumental area of Belém with its World Heritage
monuments, the medieval quarters and the latest contemporary
leisure spaces, such as the Parque das Nações.
End of stay after your breakfast.
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 795€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1085€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a double room
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Navette privée - LISBONNE (aéroport) - ERICEIRA
- Day 1 : Orientation meeting
- Day 6 : Navette privée - CASCAIS - LISBONNE
- Hybrid bike rental, including front bag and rear pannier, helmet and repair kit.
- The itinerary as detailed above trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a GPS with full itinerary
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
A “homemade” tour by a local partner, specialist in bike trips in Portugal :
- Routes picked with the Abicyclette team for their tourist & cycling interests, completely identified, removed from trafic
- Accommodation chosen for the quality of their welcome, atmosphere, services and gastronomy
- A great flexibility of organization which adapts to your needs and desires: you leave on the date of your choice! We check the availability of accommodation to ensure your departure.
Assistance close at hand :
- A personalized reception on the first day of your trip by a local guide that will provide you travel documents (reception & documents in English)
- Telephone assistance from the ABICYCLETTE team
- Local telephone assistance
- Luggage transfer service
A modern and efficient route tracking:
- A logbook to find all useful addresses and tourist information, maps and a description of the circuit.
- We provide a GPS to follow the route without ever having to look for directions (bike mount provided)
- Confortable bike rental, ideal for this varied route made up roads and paths
- The option to subscribe to a cancellation & multi-risk insurance covering you in case of problems or the unexpected
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
Supplied equipment per bike
Supplied equipment per bike
Coming to Lisbon by train*
Lisbon Santa Apolonia TGV train station (for international connections)
Lisbon Rossio Train station (connections to Sintra)
Lisbon Oriente Train station
Coming to Lisbon by plane*
Airport of Lisbon
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger