Portugal Southwest Coast : between Lisbon and the Algarve
The blue magical waters and sceneries of the South West Coastline
Natural Reserve of SW Alentejano
Stunning views over the Atlantic while cycling on the cliffs
Pine and cork tree forests, small and picturesque villages, sandy beaches and stork nests hanging from the cliffs
Traditional food and fresh fish from the Atlantic Coast
Cape Saint Vincent (the south-westernmost point of Europe)
The Portuguese coast and its wonders
A beautiful bike trip in Portugal along a spectacular wild coast
From Santiago do Cacém to Lagos and passing through Cape St. Vincent, the southwestern tip of Europe, this trip offers unique places that only nature can shape.
Discover the exceptional coastal landscapes of the Algarve by bike. The irregular rock formations make up steep cliffs, which when lit by the sun become tinged with a beautiful golden color. Arches and sea pillars, bathed in turquoise ocean waters, stand proudly facing the elements and form one of the most beautiful borders between sea and land. A part of it is protected as Southwest Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park. The opportunity to discover a well preserved fauna and flora, some of which are endemic and unique.
You cycle through small fishing villages in abandoned fortresses that reflect the time when this region was regularly looted by pirates. A sunny seaside town here and there, a delicious traditional Portuguese cuisine and the welcoming faces of the inhabitants complete this wonderful journey.
At the end of your cycling holiday, we invite you to enjoy a half-day and a night on the Portuguese capital, Lisbon. An opportunity to stroll through the streets of the beautiful multicolored city of Vasco da Gama. Beware of the melancholy of Fado, a traditional Portuguese song that bewitches all visitors …
SANTIAGO DO CACEM
Welcome to Portugal! Our guide will pick you up at the Airport and transfer you (2h) to Santiago do Cacém, a lovely town known for its beautiful medieval castle. This is the perfect place for you to start your tour, explore and breath the fresh air. Enjoy and rest here because tomorrow new adventures await you!
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From SANTIAGO DO CACEM to VILA NOVA DE MILFONTES 52km 400m
Leave Santiago by a road on the sierra and arrive at the sea. Then enter the Natural Park of Sudoeste Alentejano and Costa Vicentina on a scenic road over the sea and pass Porto Covo typical fishing village, now transformed into a picturesque place by the sea with its beautiful cliffs. Arrive to Vila Nova de Milfontes visit the fishing harbor, the great beach and admire the Mira River and its beautiful bay area.
From VILA NOVA DE MILFONTES to ODECEIXE 47km 450m
Ride on to Alentejano Natural Park with amazing views over the sea and visit the stunning Sardão Cape, guarded by a lighthouse, a place of reconciliation between the land and the ocean. Here you can admire the shafts embedded in the rocks walls, the seeded islets along the coast and the white storks that choose this coast as their nesting site. On the way pass by the typical village of Zambujeira do Mar, then follow through the fields till you go down to a river, where at the end, you will arrive at Odeceixe, an attractive village on a hillside with an old windmill, sitting on the tallest hill.
From ODECEIXE to ARRIFANA 55km 750m
Start the day going to one of the most beautiful sceneries of this coast – Odeceixe beach! Then follow a valley where once caravels sailed to the village of Aljezur, about 5 km inland, and go to the medieval castle of Aljezur! Discover and enjoy the hospitality of the people and taste the famous sweet potato of Aljezur that grows in the fertile land of the region! It was recognized in 2008 by the European Union as a protected area and food item. At the end of the day arrive at Arrifana, an amazing village over the cliffs.
From ARRIFANA to SAGRES 58km 700m
Ride through some forests and come back close to sea by the incredible village of Carrapateira, a quiet, pretty, spread-out village rounded by a wild coast, with copper-colored and ash-grey cliffs covered in speckled yellow and green scrub, backed by white sand… Then ride south till Cape S. Vicente – the most south-western point of Continental Europe. This is a magical place where you can almost hear the echoes of the voices of sailors and pilgrims. Surrounded by monumental cliffs and outstanding views over the coastline, this is also a privileged area to watch the natural phenomenon of bird migration.
From SAGRES to LAGOS 48km 800m
On this last day of cycling you ride through the most famous spots but see sights that most tourists never see. On your way to Lagos appreciate the most amazing horizon, the strong blue waters and the beautiful sand beaches, all the beauty that Algarve has to offer! As you arrive at Lagos take some time to stop at Ponta da Piedade, the ex-libris of the city with yellow-golden cliff-like rocks and grottos that wonder the ones that visit it.
FROM LAGOS TO LISBON
Time goes by so fast when you’re having fun! Get ready for your trip back home, our guide will pick you up at your hotel in order to drive you to your next hotel in Lisbon to discover the portuguese capital.
End of stay after your breakfast.
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1240€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1490€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 7 nights in a double room
- 7 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Orientation meeting
- Day 1 : Navette privée - LISBONNE (aéroport) - SANTIAGO DO CACEM
- Day 7 : Navette privée - LAGOS - LISBONNE
- Hybrid bike rental, including front bag and rear pannier, helmet and repair kit.
- The itinerary as detailed above trackable on the following supports:
- An app with full itinerary
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
A “homemade” tour by a local partner, specialist in bike trips:
- Routes picked with the Abicyclette team for their tourist & cycling interests, completely identified, removed from trafic
- Accommodation chosen for the quality of their welcome, atmosphere, services and gastronomy
- A great flexibility of organization which adapts to your needs and desires: you leave on the date of your choice! We check the availability of accommodation to ensure your departure.
Assistance close at hand :
- A personalized reception on the first day of your trip by a local guide that will provide you travel documents (reception & documents in English)
- Hotline/Telephone assistance from the ABICYCLETTE VOYAGES team
- Local Hotline/telephone assistance
- Luggage transfer service
A modern and efficient route tracking:
- A logbook to find all useful addresses and tourist information, maps and a description of the circuit.
- We provide a GPS to follow the route without ever having to look for directions (bike mount provided)
- Confortable bike rental, ideal for this varied route made up roads and paths
- The option to subscribe to a cancellation & multi-risk insurance covering you in case of problems or the unexpected
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
Supplied equipment per bike
Supplied equipment per bike
Departure city : SANTIAGO DO CACEM
Coming by car
- at Plus de 16h from PARIS
- at 12h from BORDEAUX
- at Plus de 16h from LYON
Arrival city : LISBONNE
Coming by car
- at Plus de 16h from PARIS
- at 11h from BORDEAUX
- at Plus de 16h from LYON
Coming by train
- Lisbonne Oriente train station - Plus de 12h from Paris
- Lisbonne Rossio train station - Plus de 12h from Paris
- Lisbonne Santa Apolonia train station - Plus de 12h from Paris
Coming by plane
- Lisbonne airport
* Abicyclette Voyages accompanies you on demand, including transportation solutions.
How to get back to the starting point
- Return by car in 1h30 to your starting point ?
- Private shuttle: see detailed fares or contact us
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers (limited to one per person when possible)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger