The Loire Valley cycle route #3 from Tours to Angers
Passing by Chinon and Saumur
The banks of the Loire and its troglodyte dwellings
Villandry, 15th century castle and garden
Turquant, arts village
Saumur, its castle, its wine appellations
From Touraine to Anjou
A bike ride from Tours to Angers
Discover the Loire by bike.
From Tours, capital of the castles, with its wooden houses of the 15th century, you will go west on the banks of the Cher. The exhilarating colors and the beauty of the gardens of the Château de Villandry will plunge you into the heart of the 16th century. Following the direction of the current of the Indre you will arrive on Chinon and its 12th century fortress, which will welcome you for this stage.
From Saumur Castle, you advance through the Loire-Anjou-Touraine Regional Nature Park. This territory, has six PDOs (Protected Designation of Origin), offers tastings in the freshness of troglodyte cellars and mushroom farms.
This circuit takes you on the tracks of Ronsard, Rabelais, Balzac … The valley has inspired many artists. It will not take you long to understand why. And maybe you too will find new inspiration here. On the banks of the Cher, Indre, Vienne and Loire, discover the wildest French rivers. 7 days by the water …
Arrival on your own and check in to your hotel. Orientation with our guide today. Take the time to visit the cathedral or the “guinguette”, a bar on the bank of the river with a lively atmosphere.
Meeting with our guide in Tours
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From TOURS to AZAY LE RIDEAU 35km 100m
On the Cher riverbanks you head West to discover the exhilaration of colors and beauty of the gardens of the Villandry castle. You are in the heart of the sixteenth century. You then leave the Loire riverbanks and head South. Riding through vineyards and the forest, you reach Azay-le-Rideau, on the Indre riverbanks, another of the Loire’s tributary.
- For a few more km 51km 145m
From AZAY LE RIDEAU to CHINON 36km 110m
Following the Indre river, you reach the Loire river. Full of surprises, this day arouses your curiosity. Along the path let it guide you to a castle, a dovecot, a picturesque manor or old watermills, a curious farm or old town. As you uncover the secrets of the Loire Valley you reach the Royal fortress of Chinon …
From CHINON to SAUMUR 44km 268m
The Vienne river, running through the village of Chinon, guides you to Candes-St-Martin, where it flows into the Loire. Labeled most beautiful villages in France, Candes-Saint-Martin and Montsoreau are dazzling. The Touraine tuffeau offers luminous constructions. At the end of the day visit the Montsoreau Castle and the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud before reaching Saumur by the Loire riverbanks. A discovery of the city is a must! Its castle and streets are marked by their intimate relationship with the Loire.
- For a few more km 52km 439m
With the long version, ride to the vineyards and to the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud before reaching Saumur by the Loire riverbanks.
From SAUMUR to ANGERS 54km 160m
You leave behind the city of light. From the Saumur to the Angers Castle, you ride through the Regional Natural Park of Loire-Anjou-Touraine. The Loire, an impetuous and wild river, grows a bit more with every kilometer. You ride through ancient remains and typical old hamlets to the Trélazé slate quarries, another local resource. As you enter the heart of the city, experience the old Angers with its castle, Adam’s home and its incredible cathedral.
End of stay after breakfast in Angers. The opportunity for one last stroll in the city’s streets and the castle halls, open to visitors. Enjoy an optional bike ride to discover the Angevin country: the shores of Maine and Louet Lakes and the Angevin countryside still showing scars of the Vendée or WWII wars.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 540€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 620€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Tours, Indres et Loire (37)
Tours by car
From Paris on A10 (240km 2h30)
From Bordeaux on A10 (350km 3h20)
From Lyon on A89 and A71 (490km 4h30)
From Lille on A1 and A10 (450km 4h30)
Tours by train*
Tours train station (from Paris : 1h)
Saint Pierre des Corps train station (10 minutes shuttle train to Tours)
Tours by plane*
Tours Airport (from Marseilles/Porto/London)
Return from Angers : train station in Angers to go back to Saint pierre des Corps and Tours
*Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger