Ride along the Loire from Tours to Saumur
Passing by Villandry, Azay le Rideau and Chinon
Tours, Old Town, Royale street
Villandry, the castle and its 16th century garden
The castles of Azay-le-Rideau, Ussé, Montsoreau, Saumur ...
The royal abbey of Fontevraud
The troglodyte village of Turquant
In the Valley of the Kings
From Tours, this long weekend will take you to Saumur with 4 beautiful days of cycling.
Discover the Loire by bike.
After a visitng the historic districts of Tours, join the banks of the Cher. On the banks of this tributary of the Loire, you will cross the “Garden of France”. Name given to the region due to the excellent geographical and climate conditions that favored the production of fruits and vegetables for all the Kingdom. Today it’s a classified region: the Regional Natural Park Loire-Anjou-Touraine.
Before arriving in Azay-le-Rideau and its castle for the night, stop at the gardens of the Villandry Castle. The different flower beds and the decorative vegetable garden compositions are a great subject for great photos!
From the banks of the Cher you will go to those of Indre and Vienne and arrive in Chinon. Climb to the city fortress, the panorama on the valley is a beautiful reward.
By bicycle, you reach the Loire which will lead you to one of the most beautiful villages in France: Candes Saint-Martin. At the end of its charming little streets, you will arrive in front of the Montsoreau Castle. The dungeon overlooking the Loire is a beautiful building!
A little extra effort and you will soon be at the gates of the Fontevraud Abbey.
You will then be in the vineyards of Anjou: red wines, white wines, sparkling, sweet… A wide variety of PDOs (Protected Designation of Origin) to discover among the many winemakers who open their cellars for tastings. But don’t overdo it, you will still have a few kilometers to go to get to the final destination of this long bike ride: Saumur.
From TOURS to LANGEAIS 33km 40m
On the Cher riverbanks you head west to discover the exhilaration of colors and beauty of the gardens of the Villandry castle. You are in the heart of the sixteenth century. The Loire then leads you to Langeais for a night in this lovely little town, facing the castle.
Meeting with our guide in Tours
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
- For a few more km 50km 260m
From LANGEAIS to CHINON 32km 100m
Full of surprises, this day arouses your curiosity. Along the path let it guide you to a castle, a dovecot, a picturesque manor or old watermills, a curious farm or old town. As you uncover the secrets of the Loire Valley you reach the Royal fortress of Chinon.
From CHINON to FONTEVRAUD L’ABBAYE 27km 160m
You leave Chinon and the Vienne will guide you to Candes-St-Martin where it flows into the Loire. Most beautiful villages of France, Candes-Saint-Martin and Montsoreau are dazzling villages where the tuffeau stone of Touraine is king. Sites to see at the end of the day: The castle of Montsoreau then the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud.
- For a few more km 42km 300m
You will leave Chinon and after a little tour in the country of Rabelais, the Vienne will guide you to Candes-St-Martin where it flows into the Loire. Most beautiful villages of France, Candes-Saint-Martin and Montsoreau are dazzling. The tuffeau stone of Touraine offers a luminous frame. Sites to see at the end of the day: The castle of Montsoreau then the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud.
From FONTEVRAUD L’ABBAYE to SAUMUR 17km 230m
The first stop of this small stage is the village of Turquant: kilometers of galleries dug in the tuffeau stone; this is the opportunity to see some troglodyte dwellings that are still inhabited. Along the arms of Loire then on the wine hillside, you reach the Saumur Castle and its Panorama which are the gateway to this charming city.
- For a few more km 40km 365m
Between cellars and mushroom farms, in this long version full of discoveries in both taste and landscape, you will arrive in Brézé. Here is a castle with surprising underground passages that welcomes you. Then through the vineyards, it is the Saumur Castle and its Panorama that are the gateway to this charming city.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 425€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 490€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Tours, Indres et Loire (37)
Tours by car
From Paris on A10 (240km 2h30)
From Bordeaux on A10 (350km 3h20)
From Lyon on A89 and A71 (490km 4h30)
From Lille on A1 and A10 (450km 4h30)
Tours by train*
Tours train station (from Paris : 1h)
Saint Pierre des Corps train station (10 minutes shuttle train to Tours)
Tours by plane*
Tours Airport (from Marseilles/Porto/London)
Return from Saumur : train station in Saumur to go back to Saint pierre des Corps and Tours
*Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger