The Loire Valley, a world heritage from Orleans to Angers
Cycling through the Loire Valley
Castles along the Loire Valley
The Loire River, an impetuous river of extraordinary strength
Vineyards and winemakers share their products and their knowledge
Cycling from Orléans to Angers
Cycle through the Loire valley, selected as part of the world's heritage by UNESCO !
Ride through the most impressive part of the Loire Valley and its European cycling itinerary. In 11 days with 9 traveling days you reach the most impressive and interesting sites.
In one of the world’s most famous Rennaissance location, this trip offers a permanent marvel with:
– The Loire River and its many affluants which keep you close to water along the entire trip.
– Numerous castles, among the most famous in Europe: Chambord, Chenonceaux, Amboise, Rigny-Ussé, Saumur… you will see over thirty along your itinerary.
– Vineyards which offer a great variety of Touraine and Anjou wines (AOP red, white, rosé, sparkling…)
– Exceptionnal gardens due to a very fertile soil. The valley is still often qualified of “France’s Garden”.
These few examples will show you why the Loire Valley is one of the main signpost cycling itinerary in the world! Wether you are used to cycling holidays or only discovering them, this itinerary/route is one you won’t want to miss.
Arrival on your own and check in to your hotel. Orientation with our guide today. Take time to explore Orleans and the banks of the Loire river.
From ORLEANS to BEAUGENCY 33km 60m
You start by crossing the Loire to reach the banks of one of its tributaries: the Loiret. Around the confluence you ride through a rich agricultural plain. On the riverbanks, you reach Meung-sur-Loire and Beaugency. Enjoy these 2 beautiful villages and their medieval castle. Tavers is right behind!
From BEAUGENCY to BLOIS 50km 110m
Riding along the Loire river, you reach Blois. The route takes you on a beautiful bike path between the Chambord national hunting reserve and the river. When you reach Chambord, its gigantisme is always a surprise. Take interest in its architecture. It exudes both a reassuring and impressive light. Even though the visit is optional, you don’t want to miss this Renaissance jewel.
From BLOIS to AMBOISE 44km 130m
You ride along a river of a quiet strength with a relaxing effect. It shows the way to go. You first stop in Chaumont sur Loire for its fifteenth century castle and gardens. Every year, the gardens of Chaumont sur Loire are renewed and propose a new theme. A must visit of the region, you can also stay for a very nice lunch break. You discover more and more vines to Amboise. You enter the vineyards of Touraine and, on the banks of the Loire, you can see the first cellars and troglodyte houses.
FROM AMBOISE, CHENONCEAUX LOOP 37km 135m
You leave the Loire riverbanks and head toward the south. Welcome in Touraine! Luxuriant, abundant and spiritual this is the land of Rabelais and Balzac Courier. In this Eden of fine food, let yourself be tempted by local dishes and spirits … In Chenonceaux, take time to enjoy its famous castle (the same name without an X). Built in 1513, it is one of the most beautiful of the Loire Valley.
- For a few more km 59km 330m
After your visit to the castle of Chenonceau, enjoy a few more kilometers on your route to reach the medieval city of Montrichard. A small beach is laid out in the summer if you want to go for a swim. Return to Amboise by small country roads.
From AMBOISE to TOURS 30km 105m
You leave Amboise by its hillsides. Take the opportunity to taste a few Touraine wines, or simply learn more about the wine making. This day leads you to the old city of Tours, capital of the Loire castles. Take time to discover the fifteenth century wooden houses still present here; they share beautiful bits of history…
- For a few more km 50km 280m
In this version, you can compare the vineyards of Montlouis and Vouvray. After the vineyards of Montlouis, you cross the Loire to reach Vouvray and the Château of Jallanges. Ride along the Loire on the Vouvray side to reach Tours.
From TOURS to LANGEAIS 33km 40m
On the Cher riverbanks you head west to discover the exhilaration of colors and beauty of the gardens of the Villandry castle. You are in the heart of the sixteenth century. The Loire then leads you to Langeais for a night in this lovely little town, facing the castle.
- For a few more km 50km 260m
From LANGEAIS to CHINON 32km 100m
Full of surprises, this day arouses your curiosity. Along the path let it guide you to a castle, a dovecot, a picturesque manor or old watermills, a curious farm or old town. As you uncover the secrets of the Loire Valley you reach the Royal fortress of Chinon.
From CHINON to SAUMUR 39km 180m
The Vienne river, running through the village of Chinon, guides you to Candes-St-Martin, where it flows into the Loire. Labeled most beautiful villages in France, Candes-Saint-Martin and Montsoreau are dazzling. The Touraine tuffeau offers luminous constructions. At the end of the day visit the Montsoreau Castle and the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud before reaching Saumur by the Loire riverbanks. A discovery of the city is a must! Its castle and streets are marked by their intimate relationship with the Loire.
- For a few more km 52km 439m
With the long version, ride to the vineyards and to the Royal Abbey of Fontevraud before reaching Saumur by the Loire riverbanks.
From SAUMUR to ANGERS 54km 160m
You leave behind the city of light. From the Saumur to the Angers Castle, you ride through the Regional Natural Park of Loire-Anjou-Touraine. The Loire, an impetuous and wild river, grows a bit more with every kilometer. You ride through ancient remains and typical old hamlets to the Trélazé slate quarries, another local resource. About 10 kilometers before Angers, cross the Authion river with the chain ferry at the tiny port of Chevalerie. A fun moment for young and old! As you enter the heart of the city, experience the old Angers with its castle, Adam’s home and its incredible cathedral.
End of stay after breakfast in Angers. The opportunity for one last stroll in the city’s streets and the castle halls, open to visitors. Enjoy an optional bike ride to discover the Angevin country: the shores of Maine and Louet Lakes and the Angevin countryside still showing scars of the Vendée or WWII wars.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 980€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1195€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 10 nights in a double room
- 10 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Orientation meeting
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Orléans, Loiret (45)
Coming to Orléans by car
From Paris by A10 highway (130km 1h40)
From Lyon by A6 highway (470km 4h10)
Coming to Orléans by train*
Arrival: TER Train station in Orléans (from Paris: 1h)
Return: TGV Train station in Angers (to Paris: 1h40)
* Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger