The Loire Valley cycle route #1 from Nevers to Orleans
The wildest and most natural part of the Loire Valley
The natural reserve "Val de Loire"
Sancerre and its vineyard
The Renaissance castle in Sully sur Loire
The "Loire à vélo" cycling route
The Loire à vélo from the beginning of the itinerary km 0
Starting from Nevers, this trip takes you to Orléans in 5 beautiful cycling days. Discover the wildest parts of the Loire Valley...
Your journey starts in Nevers. Visit the earthenware makers (faïenciers) district and the Ducal Palace, a 15th and 16th century castle, residence of the counts and dukes of Nevers. The next morning hop on your bike. Your adventure starts and takes you to the beautiful Loire riverbanks. In Nevers the Loire River is most faithful to its nature … a free, untameable, wild river. Also, the “Loire à Vélo” cycling route of is a beautiful nature trail! Along the riverbanks discover the famous Bec d’Allier and the Guétin canal bridge.
Welcome to Nevers! We invite you for a briefing during the afternoon in this beautiful city, old capital of french earthenware.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From NEVERS to LA CHARITE SUR LOIRE 47km 38m
From Nevers, join the starting point of the Loire à Vélo itinerary then take canal to the side of the Loire. Enjoy a mid-term break at Marseilles-les-Aubigny, a charming river port. You finish your day by pedaling on the Loire à Vélo bike path of the to reach La Charité-sur-Loire, the City of Book and its famous monastery.
From LA CHARITE SUR LOIRE to SANCERRE 28km 135m
You are in the heart of the natural reserve of the Loire Valley. Two wine regions are on your day’s agenda. We guide you after a small detour to the first in Pouilly sur Loire and its vineyards, village and bell tower. You then get back on your bike on an easy path that allows you to gain strength before the climb to the Sancerre hill. Arrival in Sancerre, enjoy a breathtaking view from La Tour des Fiefs, the last of the 6 towers on the feudal castle of Sancerre.
- For a few more km 35km 240m
From SANCERRE to BRIARE 48km 13m
A few pedal strokes will take you to a first gourmet stop in Chavignol. You can choose to taste the famous goat cheese of the same name, and visit an emblematic cellar to taste the famous white wine of Sancerre of a remarkable finesse. After this pleasant moment, it is time to leave the peaceful wine-growing landscapes to join the channel to the side of the Loire that you follow by alternating with the banks of the river. You reach Cosne sur Loire and its museum of the Loire then Briare where you stay for the night to discover more deeply its aqueduct, classified as part of the UNESCO heritage.
From BRIARE to SULLY SUR LOIRE 43km 68m
By small, slightly hilly roads you will discover the castle of Gien whose city is a high place of world renowned earthenware. You are slowly moving towards the Val de Loire territory classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The famous Renaissance castle of Sully sur Loire symbolizes the door of the castles of the Loire that its military architecture defended. Behind its military armor, the castle reveals all the grace of the Renaissance interiors which gratified its owner, the Duke of Sully.
From SULLY SUR LOIRE to ORLEANS 52km 38m
Today, many beautiful stops are available to you, including the views offered on the Loire. In Saint Benoît sur Loire, we invite you to visit the exceptional setting of the 12th century Roman basilica. Save some time at the end of the day for a visit to Orleans, the iconic city of Joan of Arc.
End of stay after breakfast.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 755€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 810€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a double room
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Chambre d’hôtes Côté Parc Côté Jardin - Meeting with our guide in Nevers
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Nevers, Nièvre (58)
Nevers by car*
From Paris by A6 and A77 (245km 2H40)
From Lyon by A6 (240km 3H05)
Nevers by train*
TER Train Station in Nevers (from Paris-Bercy : 2H)
Return : TER Train Station in Orléans (to Paris : 1H30)
* Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger