Pointe du Raz and Southern Finistère
Discover Brittany's Cornouaille on the La Littorale coastal cycle path
The fishing ports of Douarnenez, Audierne and Guilvinec
Locronan, one of the most beautiful villages in Brittany
The Baie des Trépassés and its sunsets
La Pointe du Raz, the world's end
The city of Art and History of Quimper renowned for its pottery
The story behind the trip
Reaching the world’s end Penn Ar Bed in Breton, is always a moving experience. Even more the first time. It has a greater appeal when we reach it by bike or on foot. And always with as much pleasure after numerous crossings of Brittany’s Cornouaille to the Pointe du Raz. The bay of Douarnenez and the Pays Bigouden are part of our personal favorites in Brittany, bringing together all the qualities, delicacies and charms of this great region turned towards the sea. Cornouaille offers a fully immersive, inspiring stay, from which the strength of the elements it emits leaves no one indifferent. We have built this trip for those who are discovering Brittany for the first time and for those who have become fans in the region. Degemer mat! – Welcome in Breton.
Cornouaille by bike: from Quimper and the Douarnenez Bay to Bigouden
Pedal to the world's end to discover southern Finistère. On a long loop starting from Quimper, you discover Cornouaille and its serrated coastline of rocky points, peppered with picturesque fishing villages. From Pointe du Raz to the Penmarc'h lighthouse you follow the famous Route du Vent Solaire and take the La Littorale route, a Breton cycle route.
This circuit between land and sea offers travelers the opportunity to discover the ingredients that make the beauty and authenticity of this world’s end with a distinct identity and spectacular landscapes where the character of men seems to be forged.
Quimper is the historic capital of Cornouaille. Logically, it is the point of departure and arrival of the stay. Thanks to its well-preserved medieval center and the charm of the banks of the Odet, it is one of the most beautiful towns in Brittany. Built in the “Vieux Quimper”, the Saint-Corentin cathedral is the emblematic monument of the city. Classified as a Small Town of Character, Locronan is another highlight of the stay. On foot or by bike, take the time to wander through the maze of cobbled streets and small squares and between the granite buildings that make up its picturesque village center.
From the fishing port of Douarnenez to that of Audierne, the rocky coast is chiseled and jagged by the waves and storms that have always been crashing there. For the bicycle traveler, this is a treat. A host of breathtaking panoramas dot the wild and raw coastline of Cap Sizun. The most famous is that of Pointe du Raz. From the rocky promontory which you reach by foot, the iconic La Vieille lighthouse greets you from a sea sequined with foam, as beautiful as it is dangerous. If there’s no “bad weather”, the sea bass fishermen will perform a dance on the waves of the Raz de Sein, this passage of the Iroise Sea between Pointe du Raz and Île de Sein.
The ports find shelter in the coves and bays. Although in decline, fishing remains a pillar of the economy on the Cornouaille coast. The ports of Douarnenez, Audierne and especially of Guilvinec are the most dynamic in southern Finistère. In the first city, at 4 p.m., witness the daily performance of the fishermen’s return on their colorful boats.
Drawn largely from the sea, Brittany’s gastronomy treats visitors with local products with an iodized scent. Fresh fish and seafood garnish the plates during your gourmet stops. In the markets, bars, mackerel, spider crabs and sea urchins color the stalls and fill your bags. However, the Breton terroir is not limited to seafood. Unmissable, Breton sweet and savory crêpes and Kouing Amann are to be tasted. After the day’s effort, Breton cuisine satisfies all cravings.
From Pointe du Raz, the Véloroute la Littorale coastal cycling path is the winding route which oscillates between land and sea on small typical Brittany roads. This great Breton cycle route has been completed for a few years in the Bigouden country for our greatest pleasure. It follows the tourist route called the Route du Vent Solaire, the signs of which you can follow as far as the large lighthouse at Pointe de Penmarc’h.
On a large loop starting from Quimper, this cycling trip offers you a complete discovery of Brittany’s Cornouaille, the southern part of Finistère.
Your adventure begins in Quimper. We meet there to prepare your departure. Free evening. Take the opportunity to explore the narrow streets of its historic heart with elegant half-timbered houses. Let yourself be tempted by a Breton cake, accompanied by a bowl of cider, ideal to get in the mood for your trip in Brittany.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From QUIMPER to DOUARNENEZ 37km 340m
You leave Quimper by a bicycle path converted from an old railway line towards Douarnenez. In Locronan, you stop in one of the most beautiful villages in France. Established on a hill, this charming small town reveals a picturesque old center made up of stone houses and a maze of squares and cobbled streets. Douarnenez is not very far. Anchored at the end of the bay of the same name, the port of Douarnenez welcomes you for the evening and the night.
From DOUARNENEZ to PLOGOFF 40km 390m
You cross the port of Douarnenez then ride along the bay to the Pointe du Van and discover the Baie des Trépassés. A world’s end atmosphere awaits you as well as one of the most beautiful sunsets of Brittany.
From PLOGOFF to POULDREUZIC 43km 340m
After a few kilometers, you lock the bikes to walk the path that leads to the tip of the Raz. Nice walk at the world’s end! Then back to the bikes and along the bay of Audierne, you reach the port of the same name. You ride on the route called “The Solar Wind Route”.
From POULDREUZIC to GUILVINEC 35km 100m
The Solar Wind route continues and leads you to the tip of the Torch, which surfers know well. Then, on arrival at Penmarc’h, you will discover the Eckmul lighthouse. At 4 p.m., be on the port of Guilvinec where many locals and tourists will have already hurried to enjoy the return of the fishermen to the port, a beautiful colorful and authentic animation.
From GUILVINEC to QUIMPER 49km 185m
You reach the seaside and Loctudy before crossing the beautiful city of Pont-L’Abbé, ranked among the small cities of character. By a pleasant greenway along the old railway line, you go up to Quimper. The capital of the French Cornouaille offers you a beautiful cultural stop. The architecture, the pedestrian streets and half-timbered houses are remarkable. Do not leave without visiting the cathedral!
- For a few more km 70km 300m
After Pont-l’Abbé you reach one of the smallest and most beautiful ports in the region: Sainte-Marine. Placed on the cliffs of the Odet, river that flows here into the Atlantic Ocean, the houses and the mood are cozy. The charm works! You leave this port on a boat that allows you to cross the Odet and reach Benodet before going back to Quimper.
End of your bike trip in Brittany after breakfast.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 820€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1040€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a double room
- 6 breakfasts
- 1 dinner
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Brittany
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Cycling practical guide including topo maps, restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Quimper, Brittany (29)
Quimper by car
From Paris via Rennes by the A81 and the N24 and the E60 (560 km 5h45)
From Nantes by the E60 (230 km 2h30)
Quimper by train*
TGV station in Quimper (from Paris : 3H40)
* The Abyciclette Voyages team may provide transportation as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger