The small tour of Burgundy by bike
Discover the vineyards of Burgundy and cycle along the Saône
Itineraries on the green and blue routes along the Saône
Chalon-sur-Saône: City of Art and History
Saint-Vincent Cathedral in Chalon-sur-Saône
The abbeys of Tournus and Cluny
The gastronomy of Burgundy
The Col de la Chèvre
La Roche du Solutré
The Beaujolais vineyards
Discovery of Burgundy's natural and gastronomic heritage
Departing from Chalon-sur-Saône, a bucolic and varied route awaits you to discover the South of Burgundy.
This cycling holiday, in the form of a cycle loop between the Saône and vineyards, delights you with its mosaic of landscapes. This exceptional & natural territory takes you on an adventure, through picturesque villages and cities of Art and History. Cluny is certainly one of the most interesting villages on the route. Discovering its superb abbey founded in the Middle Ages testifies to its rich heritage and its long history.
The first greenway in France!
This (almost) flat route makes your stay pleasant, suitable to wandering and exploring. Mostly on dedicated lanes, on greenways suited for cyclists, you sometimes cycle on the banks of the Saône, surrounded by green meadows, sometimes on the Chalonnaise coast and its vineyards. Between Cluny and Givry, the green track has been ideally designed for cyclists and bike travelers. Open to verdant and charming landscapes, this route takes you to emblematic places in southern Burgundy, accessible and pleasant to discover by bike.
Burgundy is a region full of taste, it abounds in local specialties. This stay allows you to taste the many local products such as: pain d’épices & nonnettes (gingerbread pastries), snails; who are only waiting to be tasted.
We also offer optional extensions of this stay in 7 or 8 days to complete your discovery and exploration of Burgundy and its vineyards.
Arrive on your own to Chalon-sur-Saône.
From CHALON-SUR-SAÔNE to CLUNY 51km 200m
From Chalon-sur-Saône, you ride on one of the most beautiful greenways of the Tour de Bourgogne by bike. This stage follows the route of an old railway line which winds through the heart of the landscapes of the Chalonnaise coast towards Mâcon. You even ride on the first greenway in France between Buxy and Cluny. You also cross the vineyards of the Côte Chalonnaise before arriving in Cluny.
From CLUNY to MACON 28km 180m
Leaving Cluny, a small hill awaits you. You leave the Chalonnaise coast and gain height towards the Bois Clair tunnel. This stage takes you over hilly passages to offer you a remarkable landscape made up of limestone rocks and vineyards.
On your arrival in Macon, discover the historic center of the city, whose warm colored facades and Roman tiled roofs suddenly remind us of the South.
- For a few more km 44km 502m
This detour allows you to get as close as possible to the Roche de Solutré, an emblematic natural site of Saône-et-Loire.
From MACON to TOURNUS, via La Voie Bleue 33km 38m
Departing from Macon, take the Voie Bleue towards Tournus. Along the Saône you cross numerous villages and Romanesque churches. This peaceful stage offers a very little difference in elevation, you follow the towpath bordered by meadows and various cereal crops.
Cradled by the Saône river to the Fleurville bridge, the Saône takes you to Tournus, a town known for its Abbey and its gastronomy.
From TOURNUS to CHALON-SUR-SAÔNE 34km 59m
You leave the town of Tournus and take the Voie Bleue. Different panoramas follow one another: alluvial plain, small roads. Through the environment of the Saône you will discover the diversity of the local flora and fauna.
Your arrival in Chalon-sur-Saône is via the Quais de Saône where you will meet pleasure sailors and strollers.
End of stay after your breakfast. Have a safe journey home!
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 785€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 925€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 1055€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
- Accommodation: 5 nights in a Double room
- 5 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance 24/7
- Application fee
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The trip itineraries available on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Cycling practical guide including topo maps, restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
- Day 1 : Orientation in Chalon sur Saone
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
“Homemade” tours created and tested for you: :
- Routes chosen by the Abicyclette Voyages team for their touristic and cycling interest, fully tested, safe from traffic
- Accommodations have been visited beforehand and are proposed for the quality of their reception, atmosphere, services and gastronomy
- Great flexibility for the organization of your tour which adapts to your needs and your desires: you leave on the date you wish! We check the availability of accommodations and to ensure your departure.
An assistance close at hand :
- 7/7 assistance from the Abicyclette Voyages team
- Orientation by phone at the departure of your tour
- The possibility of subscribing to a cancellation & multi-risk insurance covering you in case of problems or mishaps
Modern and efficient route tracking:
- We provide a GPS to follow the route without ever having to look for directions (bike mount provided)
- A logbook to find all useful addresses and tourist information
High-end bike rental for true comfort and riding pleasure, with the reliability needed for a long bike trip
Departure city : CHALON-SUR-SAÔNE
Coming by car
- at 3h30 from PARIS
- at 6h from BORDEAUX
- at 1h30 from LYON
Arrival city : CHALON-SUR-SAÔNE
Coming by car
- at 3h30 from PARIS
- at 6h from BORDEAUX
- at 1h30 from LYON
* Abicyclette Voyages accompanies you on demand, including transportation solutions.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers (limited to one per person when possible)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger