Weekend in Tours on the Loire by Bike
Discovering Touraine: its vineyards, its castles and its bike paths
Discover the Tourangeau vineyard: Vouvray and Montlouis
Visit the castles of Clos Lucé, Amboise, Chenonceau and Villandry
Cycling itineraries on secured bike paths
Choose your routes according to your schedule
Access by high-speed train (1 hour from Paris)
The story behind the trip
Tours is Abicyclette Voyages’ second logistics headquarter. Part of the team lives and works there. We therefore want to make you live and discover this dynamic city nicknamed Le Petit Paris, with its guinguette open-air cafe, its lively alleys and its love of good food.
Tours has long been a city of passage for cyclists, a stage between Amboise and Villandry on the Loire by Bike. Thanks to the metropolis’ efforts to revitalize the city center and create numerous cycle paths, it is also now an ideal place as a starting point for numerous bicycle loops to the largest castles in the region and its vineyards. We take you on our favorite Sunday outings!
Amboise, Villandry and Chenonceaux by bike departing from Tours
Make the most of an excellent cycling network to discover Touraine.
Tours is the perfect weekend destination. Its markets, its contemporary art museum (the CCCOD), its guinguette open-air cafe on the banks of the Loire and its restaurants have already made the reputation of the capital of Touraine for a long time.
Cycling from Tours is the opportunity to get away from it all in the middle of nature within just a few kilometers. The Loire and its sandy islands, its migratory birds, the calm of the cycle paths far from the road network are the common points of all the bicycle routes from Tours. You can choose a bike loop adapted to your level every day.
During a weekend, you discover the gastronomy of Tours, the richness of its wine terroir and the splendor of its castles. You discover the Loire by Bike to Villandry and Amboise and the Cher by Bike to Chenonceau.
Tours is easily to reach by train or car. Do you want to adapt the schedule, arrive at the end of the morning or leave at the beginning of the afternoon? Take advantage of the good network and availability of trains to adapt your weekend as you wish. Do not hesitate to ask us for advice.
FROM TOURS, VILLANDRY LOOP 40km 13m
You leave the city of Tours quickly and easily by cycling the Loire à vélo route. On this portion of the route you follow the Cher river along a dedicated cycle path. Only a few fishermen, cyclists and birds will be found on your way. Halfway, take the opportunity to enjoy Savonnières for a coffee break and perhaps a swim on the beach … You will then discover the exhilaration of colors and the beauty of the gardens of the Château de Villandry. A dip in the heart of the 16th century that will not leave you indifferent! Peacefully, you return to Tours.
- For a few more km 65km 165m
For the more fit, after visiting the Château de Villandry, you branch off towards the town and the Azay le Rideau castle and town while crossing the Tours countryside. Your return to Tours is by a beautiful bike route along the mill road on the edge of the Cher.
FROM TOURS TO LANGEAIS 31km 90m
You quickly and easily leave the city of Tours by the Loire by Bike itinerary. On this portion of the route, you ride along the Cher on a dedicated cycle path. Only a few fishermen, cyclists and birds will be on your route. Halfway, you will enjoy Savonnières for a coffee break and perhaps a swim on the beach … You will then discover the exhilaration of colors and the beauty of the gardens of the Château de Villandry. A dip in the heart of the 16th century that will not leave you indifferent!
You continue your bike ride to the castle and the town of Langeais. This castle is known to have celebrated the marriage of King Charles VIII with the Duchess Anne of Brittany.
You return to Tours by train (or by bike on a longer route below).
TOURS, CASTLE OF CHENONCEAUX LOOP 32km 105m
The Cher by Bike route from Tours ended in early 2020. You take it from the city center to reach the Château de Chenonceau. On the banks of the Cher, you can take advantage of this bucolic itinerary crossing a few small villages. Completely flat and dedicated to bikes, this part of the Cher by Bike route is one of the most pleasant.
When you get to Chenonceaux, take the time to enjoy its famous castle (of the same name without X) built in 1513, one of the most beautiful in the Loire Valley. One of its originalities is its construction on the Cher! Like a bridge over this beautiful river which will soon flow into the Loire.
Return by train to Tours (40 minutes)
- For a few more km 64km 140m
Return to Tours by bike, on the Cher by Bike route.
FROM TOURS, WINES LOOP 28km 140m
You ride your bike along the “Loire à vélo” route towards the white wine Loire vineyards. First you head to Montlouis then cross the Loire river towards Vouvray to discover the Vouvray vineyard , famous for its sparkling white wines. You take advantage of an open winegrower’s door to taste (in moderation of course) a traditional method, the name given to Vouvray wines made with the Champagne method.
On the way back, do not hesitate to stop at Rochecorbon, you can visit the Terres Exotiques boutique at 60 Quai de la Loire and also the Rochecorbon “guinguette” on your way.
TOURS, LOOP TO AMBOISE 30km 170m
Starting from Tours, you ride right through the middle of the Montlouis Vineyard on one of the most beautiful sections of the Loire by Bike cycle route. It is not uncommon to see winegrowers working in their vineyards. You might even come across some brave people who work the soil on horseback!
You then arrive in Amboise, the city of Leonardo da Vinci. His last residence, Clos Lucé, and the royal castle make it a city of character where it is pleasant to stroll through its alleys or on the quays.
Return to Tours by train (40 minutes).
- For a few more km 60km 365m
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 145€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 240€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 275€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger