Weekend in Amboise by canoe and bike
3 days on the Loire by Bike, discovering castles and vineyards along the water
The Cher by canoe passing under the Chenonceau castle
The Loire by canoe between Amboise and Tours
The Loire by Bike between Amboise and Chaumont
The castles of Chenonceau, Chaumont and Clos Lucé
Discover the Tourangeau vineyard: Vouvray and Montlouis
The story behind the trip
Abicyclette Voyages and Canoë Company join forces to offer a weekend in Amboise combining bicycle and canoe.
The idea of this weekend: a concentrate of the best of the region starting from Amboise. The canoe ride on the Cher passing under the Château de Chenonceau is undoubtedly one of the best activities in the region. The gardens of Chaumont-sur-Loire have a worldwide reputation and it is not uncommon to spend more than 3 hours visiting them! The Loire by Bike, which needs no presentation, allows you to discover all the riches of the area.
Amboise was in the past the heart of the royal court. This charming town is now the base camp for visiting the region.
Embark on a unique adventure!
Along the Loire and the Cher, you ride out forming a star starting from Amboise. You reach the most beautiful castles, such as Chenonceau and Chaumont-sur-Loire, then the city of Tours, its markets and its guinguette bar on the banks of the Loire.
Cradled by the rivers of the Cher and the Loire, your weekend heralds discovery and relaxation. From the first day, departing from Amboise, embark on the last wild river in Europe, in authentic Canadian canoes. You cross a protected zone sheltering several animal and vegetable species, it is a unique opportunity to sail on one of the most beautiful parts of the Loire. The last day, the passing under the arches of Chenonceau castle will undoubtedly remain one of the unforgettable moments of your trip.
The Loire cycling routes allow you to discover all the local heritage and gastronomy. You take safe and peaceful cycle paths riding in the footsteps of François I and Leonardo da Vinci! The Château Royal and Clos Lucé are there to bear witness.
From Amboise, you can easily reach the castles of Chenonceau and Chaumont-sur-Loire, impressive by their architecture. Stop off at the Montlouis and Vouvray estates to taste the authentic wines from the banks of the Loire.
This invitation to travel, combining biking and canoeing, allows you to take new and varied shots of the heritage and nature of the Loire Valley.
AMBOISE, en canoë et à vélo 18km 95m
Departing from Amboise, you board Canadian canoes for a ride on the Loire with our friends from the Canoe Company. You are sailing down a majestic river with surprising colors. You will discover its fauna and its sandbanks. Once in Rochecorbon, get on your bikes and ride towards Amboise. You take a cycle path through the Vouvray vineyards and then the Montlouis vines on the Loire by Bike. The opportunity to taste some AOCs from Touraine, or simply to discover their trade.
- For a few more km 43km 220m
With this option, after your canoe trip, you take the direction of Tours instead of returning directly to Amboise. You ride through the Vouvray vineyards and then on the banks of the Loire on a peaceful path. You take the time to visit the capital of the Tourangeaux and return to Amboise by the Loire cycling route through the vineyards of Montlouis.
FROM AMBOISE, CHAUMONT SUR LOIRE LOOP 45km 120m
From Amboise, you ride through pretty little villages such as Pocey sur Cisse (where the castle of Mick Jagger is located – closed to the visit) then Limeray, Cangeay, Monteaux. You ride your bike up the river to reach Chaumont sur Loire. Its medieval castle, completely restored, dominates the valley and imposes its power. In the parc of the chateau, on the summits of the village, are installed the famous gardens of Chaumont sur Loire. Every year an international festival is held from spring to autumn for both artistic and botanical compositions. A beautiful walk thus completes this cycling day. You ride on the “Loire à vélo” route on your return to Amboise.
FROM AMBOISE, CHENONCEAUX LOOP 37km 280m
You leave the banks of the Loire and head south through the forest of Amboise to reach Civray de Touraine where you swap your bikes for canoes. You then descend the Cher. An unforgettable moment, you pass under the castle of Chenonceau, built in 1513, on the river. Like a bridge over this beautiful river which will soon flow into the Loire, it is one of the most beautiful in the Loire Valley! At the end of your canoe ride, you take your bikes back to Amboise by another route.
Canoe ride under the Chenonceau castle
When you arrive at the Canoe Company base camp, you change your bikes for superb Canadian canoes. You can choose from 2 to 6 people per canoe! A shuttle takes you to the start of your ride which lasts approximately 2 hours. The Cher is a calm and bucolic river. You cross a lock with a needle barrier. These dams allow navigation during summer and are witnesses of the Cher canalized. You then arrive at the Château de Chenonceau. It’s an unforgettable moment to see this superb castle reflected on the water while sailing in a canoe. Continue your descent to the Canoe Company base camp, and enjoy a short break at the bistrot quai bar under the shade of a weeping willow tree on the banks of the Cher.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 230€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 245€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 405€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
- Accommodation: 2 nights in a double room
- 2 breakfasts
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Orientation by phone [week-end]
- Day 1 : Tours & Canoë - Canoë trip from Amboise to Vouvray
- Day 3 : Canoë Company - Canoe from Chissay to basecamp with shuttle
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner with french topo maps
Price does not include
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Amboise, Indre et Loire (37)
Coming by car
From Paris by the A10 (226km 2h20)
From Bordeaux by the A10 (370km 3h45)
From Lyon by the A89 and A71 (432km 4h45)
From Lille by the A1 and A10 (442km 4h55)
Parking in Amboise: Consult us according to accommodation
Coming by train*
TGV station in Amboise (From Paris: 1h)
Coming by plane*
*Abyciclette Voyages may provide transportation as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger