The little tour of Luberon by bike
A taste of Provence
The perfumes of Provence
The ochres of Roussillon
Gordes, ranked among the most beautiful villages in France
A piece of Provence by bike
At the heart of the Luberon Regional Nature Park, guided by the Coulon valley, ride at your own pace on this Provençal route full of colors and flavors ...
Hop on your bike and set off to explore this magnificent region and its friendly people. Cradled by the song of the cicadas, intoxicated by the sweet scent of lavender, garrigues and cedars, and overcome by the beauty of the Provencal landscapes, your cycling tour to discover Luberon is exceptional.
All along the route, you cross pretty perched villages with Provencal charm. Gordes and Roussillon are among the most picturesque. On your way, you also have the leisure to admire medieval castles, bories (dry stone huts typical of the South East of France) as well as many chapels. Indication of the importance of water in this arid and hot region, you will also find on your way, many fountains and washhouses.
The Luberon offers a range of landscapes. Abrupt cliffs, winding gorges, cedar forests, olive and lavender fields, expanse of scrubland and of course ocher cliffs especially in The Provencal Colorado. So many different environments and atmospheres gathered in a small territory.
Witnesses to the Provencal way of life, wines (AOC Côtes du Luberon and Côtes du Ventoux, Coteaux de Pierrevert) as well as gastronomy (candied fruit from Apt, goat cheese, honey, olive oil, fruits and vegetables …) are a must! Thus, you will combine the pleasure of athletic effort with that of the table to make your cycling trip in the Luberon, a tour full of flavors!
From CAVAILLON to FONTAINE DE VAUCLUSE 20km 200m
From Cavaillon you ease into the day, this small distance allows you to soak up the charm of Provence. Quickly you attain the Sorgue that you ride along until reaching its source and its famous fountain! Here 630 million cubic meters of water flow each ear to feed the most beautiful river of the French department. Let yourself be cradled by the flow of the water during this first night at the foot of the mountains of Vaucluse and Luberon.
From FONTAINE DE VAUCLUSE to ROUSSILLON 25km 450m
Activity-wise this is a whole new day. The hilly terrain requires more effort but the road is beautiful! You reach the village of Lagnes and enjoy its medieval charm. Then a bucolic road, through woods, vineyards and lavender, leads you to the heart of the Luberon Regional Natural Park. A last “ascent” and you will reach Roussillon-en-Provence! This “Most Beautiful Village of France” owes its fame to its ochres which gives the color to the houses.
FROM ROUSSILLON, GORDES LOOP 25km 400m
The objective for the third Provençal day: reach one of its architectural jewels, Gordes! Village also classified “Most Beautiful Village of France”, Gordes dominates the plain of Cavaillon and the valley of Calavon. It is easy to understand that several famous artists drew their inspiration from this luminous atmosphere (Marc Chagall, Victor Vasarely or Pol Mara). If you feel so inspired (as well as your legs) continue to the Cliff of the Madeleine (+ 10km); this raw geological jewel impresses with its scale. Back to Roussillon for the night.
From ROUSSILLON to CAVAILLON 32km 50m
Gently you will go back to the heart of the valley. The Calavon cycling route that goes along the river of the same name, takes you to Cavaillon.
End of the stay in the afternoon in Cavaillon.
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 470€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Quote on request | Contact us
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 3 nights in a double room
- 3 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Orientation
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The trip itineraries available on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topo maps
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team whenever you need
- A Luggage transfer service which respects your hours of rest (we pick them up after 10:00 and deliver them before 16:00)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Cavaillon by car
From Paris on the A6 and A7 : 710km 6H30
From Lyon on the A7 : 250km 2h30
From Bordeaux on the A62 : 630km 6h00
From Rennes on the A7 : 980km 8h55
Cavaillon by train*
TER station in Cavaillon (from Lyon : 2H20)
Cavaillon by plane*
Airport in Avignon
Airport in Marseille
*Transport to your meeting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger