CANAL DU MIDI FROM TOULOUSE TO SETE
A journey on the canal du midi to the Mediterranean see
Listed as UNESCO World Heritage
A journey across nature, culture and history
The Carcassonne Medieval Town
The Greek city of Agde
The discovery of the local gastronomy
The cultural heritage of the Pink City
Cycling from the pink city to the sea
A crossing along the "royal canal of Languedoc"
Your journey start in Toulouse where you discover the cultural richness of the Pink City. You then start cycling the canal du midi across cultural, natural and historical landscapes. Paul Pierre Riquet make you live to the rythm of the surrounding countryside among ports and locks.
At Castelnaudary, capital of the well-knwon French “Cassoulet” you enjoy the local gastronomy.
Biking on the canal du midi path to Carcassonne, you ride in the heart of the medieval city of Carcassone. It is then time to relax and enjoy some oenology discovery in one of the wine-making-village of the region.
You finish your bike journey along the canal du midi in Sète, where you appreciate the Mediterranean beach and the cultural heritage of the city.
From TOULOUSE to CASTELNAUDARY 62km 177m
You leave the pink city and enjoy a journey in the heart of the nature. You bike through the Lauragais countryside full of authentic small villages. You continue to the Seuil de Naurouze, where watersheld are separated. You can make a stop at the Maison de la Haute Garonne located in the Lauragais’ port. There is an exposition about the Canal du Midi construct by Riquet. You then take the road again to Castelnaudary where you will have the opportunity to savour the culinary speciality: a Cassoulet.
From CASTELNAUDARY to CARCASSONNE 45km 71m
From Castelnaudary you travel to Carcassonne. From port to port you discover architectural gems such as the Treboul’s Aqueduct. You take a break at Pennautier to discover its amazing castle as well as the local gastronomy. You finish your bike tour at Carcassonne where you walk across the amazing medieval town.
- For a few more km 54km 575m
For this long and sporty version, you leave the Canal des 2 Mers. The relief is a bit steeper but you are rewarded by the discovery of the Abbey of Villelongue then of Montolieu, a charming village of Books and the Arts.
From CARCASSONNE to LE SOMAIL 60km 124m
Between Carcassone and Le Somail you discover many small wine-villages.
Near Homps, you offer yourself a moment of relaxation at the lake of Jouarres, where you can enjoy several nautical activities. You will enjoy the dynamism of the city of Homps and especially its port, which was one of the most important in the Canal du Midi. You take the road again surrounded with authentical villages. The castles in the region give you the opportunity to make a stop and to discover architectural jewel. Your journey finish in Le Somail where you stay overnight.
- For a few more km 65km 307m
You leave Carcassonne, and the Canal du Midi for the vineyards and hills of the Corbières.
From SOMAIL to BEZIERS 45km 143m
On the road to Béziers, you pass through the city of Capestang, where you have the chance to admire the wonderful Collegiate Church of the city.
You then pass under the Malpas tunnel and end with the 9 locks of Fonseranes at the entrance of Béziers.
- For a few more km 39km 147m
You avoid the Canal du Midi route and take the roads through Salles d’Aude and Capestang
From BEZIERS to SETE 54km 91m
Today you stay along the canal bordered by a cycle path. You reach Adge where you take time to appreciate the avifauna of the Estagnol marshes, the tranquility of the port of Cassafières, or the remarkable structures such as the Libron locks and the Saint-Joseph bridge.
After Adge, you follow the Hérault river. Then, take a break at the Onglous Lighthouse, which is a bit of your “end of the world”, because it is here that the Canal du Midi ends in the saline waters of the Thau lagoon. But the adventure is not quite over, since the very pleasant lido greenway will guide you as far as Sète along the Mediterranean beaches. The opportunity to take a well-deserved bath!
By taking this option you follow the canal between Béziers and Agde. You will appreciate the birdlife of the Estagnol marshes, the tranquility of the port of Cassafières, or the remarkable works of the Libron locks and the Saint-Joseph bridge.
- For a few more km 54km 120m
This option allows you to avoid the canal between Béziers and Adge via the village of Bessan.
End of your stay after breakfast.
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 730€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Starting from 885€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 6 nights in a Double room
- 6 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance 24/7
- Access to our exclusive travel application to follow your route, inform you about places of interest, restaurants, facilitate your assistance in case of emergency, find all your travel documents and our practical advice.
- Application fee
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
- Jour 1 : Orientation [in Toulouse]
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
“Homemade” tours created and tested for you: :
- Routes chosen by the Abicyclette Voyages team for their touristic and cycling interest, fully tested, safe from traffic
- Accommodations have been visited beforehand and are proposed for the quality of their reception, atmosphere, services and gastronomy
- Great flexibility for the organization of your tour which adapts to your needs and your desires: you leave on the date you wish! We check the availability of accommodations and to ensure your departure.
An assistance close at hand :
- 7/7 assistance from the Abicyclette Voyages team
- Orientation by phone at the departure of your tour
- The possibility of subscribing to a cancellation & multi-risk insurance covering you in case of problems or mishaps
Modern and efficient route tracking:
- We provide a GPS to follow the route without ever having to look for directions (bike mount provided)
- A logbook to find all useful addresses and tourist information
High-end bike rental for true comfort and riding pleasure, with the reliability needed for a long bike trip
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
Premium Trekking Bike
Supplied equipment per bike
A high-end electrically assisted bicycle with its BOSCH crank motor :
Supplied equipment per bike
Supplied equipment per bike
Departure city : TOULOUSE
Coming by car
- at 6h from PARIS
- at 2h30 from BORDEAUX
- at 5h15 from LYON
- Parking privé – Hôtel Royal Wilson
- Parking Carnot – TOULOUSE
- Parking Saint-Georges – TOULOUSE
- Parking Capitole – TOULOUSE
Coming by train
- Toulouse train station - 6h from Paris
Coming by plane
- Toulouse airport
Arrival city : SETE
Coming by car
- at 7h from PARIS
- at 4h30 from BORDEAUX
- at 3h15 from LYON
Coming by train
- Sete train station - 3h45 from Paris
- Montpellier train station - 3h30 from Paris
Coming by plane
- Montpellier airport
* Abicyclette Voyages accompanies you on demand, including transportation solutions.
How to get back to the starting point
- By train from Sete to Toulouse in 2h
- Return by car in 2h15 to your starting point ?
- Private shuttle: see detailed fares or contact us
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers (limited to one per person when possible)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger
You arrive in Toulouse where you discover the richness of the Pink City. You can walk across the “Place du Capitol”, the “Jacobins’ museum” or even the Cité de l’Espagne. Toulouse will offer you a total immersion into authenticity and modernity and you will be captured by this harmonious cohabitation between old and new.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.