La Vélodyssée - From Roscoff to Nantes
The Atlantic cycling route - Chapter 1
A quiet route, away from traffic and fully signposted
Charming towns of Malestroit, Roscoff, Josselin
Castles of Josselin, Pontivy and Abbey de Bon Repos
Flowered locks along the itinerary
Nantes, a city with an exceptional heritage
Cycling from North to South
A 10 day cycling journey through Brittany
From Roscoff you cycle on a long and beautiful journey of discoving Brittany, its land and its people. From the English Channel you reach the Morlaix river and the Nantes to Brest canal which will guide you to Nantes.
In this adventure, you will discover:
– dedicated cycling routes: flat, sometimes paved, taking you through beautiful natural landscapes
– the Abbey de Bon Repos, restored in 1986 and holds beautiful exhibition today
– the Guerlédan lake
– Pontivy and Josselin with beautiful castles, facades and town homes. Josselin is listed as « small town of character ».
– Redon, a pleasant town on the Oust and the Canal
– Nantes, which showcases its cultural and industrial heritage in the most beautiful way
The tour takes you through Brittany’s calm countryside. A charming trip for all lovers of cycling travels.
Get a sneak peak of the Vélodyssée :
Arrival in Roscoff. You meet with our guide at your hotel for an orientation meeting. If you arrive early enough, take a boat to ile de Batz.
Before your first ride, we invite you to meet one of our guides, at your place of departure. A time of exchange, a privileged moment to give you our last practical tips, must-see places and experiences, to answer all your questions, take care of your bike fitting to begin your trip.
From ROSCOFF to MORLAIX 29km 280m
From the Roscoff port you ride along the Morlaix Bay. You’ll enjoy passing through Saint-Pol-de-Léon with its beautiful church and charming historical center. Arriving at the Morlaix port you can feel, like the sailors arriving by boat, the depth and magnitude of the valley.
- For a few more km 38km 420m
A few more kilometers take you to Carantec, a very pleasant small family seaside town. You cross the typical village by its small streets and arrive at the front of the submersible road to Callot Island. If the sea is low, venture on it, but be careful you have to return to the mainland before the sea rises back!
From MORLAIX to CARHAIX-PLOUGUER 50km 540m
From Morlaix you head on small roads which take you into in the Brittany countryside. You cycle on a pleasant greenway to Carhaix and avoid the hilly Mont d’Arrée.
From CARHAIX-PLOUGUER to SAINT-AIGNAN 58km 507m
From SAINT-AIGNAN to PONTIVY 44km 290m
The Guerlédan lake and its hydroelectric dam offers you a new landscape. You will find the course of Blavet after the dam . You ride down the river to Pontivy.
From PONTIVY to JOSSELIN 50km 160m
From one castle to another, you connect two cities of history. As you approach Rohan, you can discover the Abbey of Notre-Dame de Timadeuc. A community of monks lives there under the rule of Saint-Benoit. The monks make cheeses, jams, fruit jellies which you can find in their shop. Enjoy a stroll on Josselin at the end of the day.
From JOSSELIN to REDON 64km 155m
The beginning of the route takes you to the Roc Saint André which offers an impressive religious architecture. The village is also known for its famous Lancelot Brewery. You can make a halt and enjoy the traditional beers and Cola from the Phare Ouest! A few kilometers further and you’re in Malestroit, a small typical town where you can enjoy a meal. Later on, as you face the cliffs of the Ile aux Pies, which lie on the other side of the canal, Brittany shows you just how surprising she can be.
From REDON to LE GAVRE 50km 130m
Change of scenery after Redon. The landscape is more open and allows for more sun to shine to come your way. You pass by a few cafés where it’s good to take a rest and sip a drink on the terrace.
From LE GAVRE to NANTES 68km 110m
From your hotel you ride along the Canal until Quiheix, its last sluice. Small roads take you to Nantes. You spend the night close to the Loire River.
End of stay after your breakfast. Enjoy your day to discover Nantes, its heritage and its Machines de l’île!
You want to enjoy your itinerary without anything fancy. Our ”essential” range offers a simple accommodation for a good night’s rest in a simple hotel, guesthouse, rest house or hostel.
Starting from 1075€/participant in Self Guided option | See detailed prices
Our quality standard at Abicyclette. This type of accommodation includes 2 and 3 stars hotels. Depending on the itinerary, you might spend some nights in approved guesthouses. You enjoy a double bedroom with private bathroom and toilet and adapted welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
Opt for total comfort in charming 3 and 4 star hotels which offer all the services you need and a special welcome for you and your bikes.
Quote on request | Contact us
- Accommodation: 9 nights in a double room
- 9 breakfasts
- 1 dinner
- Luggage transfer
- Phone assistance
- Application fee
- Day 1 : Meeting with our guide in Brittany
- A personalized greeting with our team at the beginning of the trip to receive your travel documents
- The itinerary trackable on the following supports:
- Loan of a Bicycle GPS uploaded with full itinerary of the trip
- Topoguide of La Vélodyssée
- Cycling practical guide including restaurant recommendations for lunch & dinner
Price does not include
- bike rental (see option)
- Breakfast on day 1
- Dinners not included in "Price includes"
- Drinks, visits & other personal expenses
- Repairs, spareparts and mileage allowance
Homemade and fully tested itineraries
- Routes selected for their cycling and touristic interest entirely tested and away from traffic
- Accomodations selected for their hospitality, atmosphere, services and quality meals
- A flexible organisation to suit you needs and wishes: You choose the date you want to you leave on! We check the availability of each accomodation to make sure it is possible.
- One of our guides greets you on your first day. He will hand out all the needed documents for the trip (hotel vouchers, maps of the area,GPS, practical guide), get you settled on your bikes (for rental bikes).
- Phone assistance, you can reach the Abicyclette team 7 days a week
- A Luggage transfer service from 09:00 and with a delivery before 18:00 (one luggage and one bagback per person maximum)
Follow your itinerary anyway you like – modern, practical, traditional
- We loan you a GPS so that you can easily follow your itinerary without having to look for your way around (bike support included)
- A practical cycling guide with all the useful information (addresses, highlights for the day, topo maps, and touristic information)
You can also
- Rent a high end quality bike for real comfort, cycling pleasure and reliability a long trip requires.
- Suscribe to a Cancelation or Multi Risk insurance policy which cover you in case something unexpected comes up.
On our guided tours (for groups on demand), we accompany you every step of the way
- One of our state qualified instructor and professional cycling guide accompanies you every step of the way
- Full board (all meals covered unless asked otherwise)
- A picnic buffet set up for lunch with a wide choice of fresh and local produce
We offer a high-end bike rental service. Our bikes are suited for road and gravel road long-distance cycling. Fully equipped and highly reliable, they are faithful travel companions.
A layed out and dynamic position
Supplied equipment per bike
A straight and easy going position
Supplied equipment per bike
With an autonomy of almost 120km, cycling has never been so easy!
Supplied equipment per bike
20″ or 24″ bike
Roscoff, Finsitère (29)
Coming to Roscoff by car
From Rennes by the national road N137 (210km 2h20)
From Paris by the A11 highway (570km 6h)
Parking in Roscoff : Contact us
Parking in Nantes : Contact us
Coming to Roscoff by boat
Incoming ferries from England
Coming to Roscoff by train
Train station in Roscoff
TGV train station in Morlaix
Coming to Roscoff by plane
Airport in Morlaix
* Transportation to your starting point can be included as an option.
- Trekking or hybrid bike
- 21 to 30 speeds
- 26 or 28 inch (700) wheels
Clothing and equipment
- Helmet (included with the rental)
- Clothing suitable for cycling
- Warm jacket (eg fleece)
- Rain proof jacket
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 pair of cycling shoes
- 1 small backpack or panniers
- 1 or 2 water flasks (included with the rental)
- 1 lock (included with the rental)
- Our reccomendation for optimal comfort:
- 1 pair of gloves
- 1 special pair of pants (shammy leather)
- 1 night see fluorescent vest
- Emergency repair kit: 2 or 3 tubes, patches, pump, tire levers, multi-tools
- Daily use kit: cloth, brake pads, oil
- Suitcase (for transporting personal effects in luggage transfers)
- Change of clothes for the evening
- Warm jacket for the evenings
- Set of toiletries
- Mobile phone and charger